Saturday, December 10, 2016

east caribbean states

recently I found a coin that said 'east Caribbean states' on it. I didn't notice the difference at first as it was the same size as an American quarter. I think the tip-off was seeing an image of the queen on it. but this wasn't a Canadian coin, it looks different in multiple ways. for one thing, it says 'queen Elizabeth the second' instead of 'Elizabeth II'. there is a ship on the other side of the coin, and it was made in 2000. I did look it up online and it was an eye-opener to me. this organization was founded in 1981, and has 10 member states, mostly former british colonies. this does include grenada, one guess of mine. but also the british virgin islands. it will go into my coin album. I don't mind getting it as change, even though others might.
   another coin I found was actually a transit token, but I hadn't seen anything like it before. in the middle it depicts a train on one side and a bus on the other. then it says 'Minneapolis st. paul' on the train side and 'valid for one base fare' on the bus side. I will like having it as a souvenir as well.
   having breakfast with a friend was a no-go, due to illness on the friend's part. so I did what I often do, and that was having an egg mcmuffin at mcdonald's. I also picked up another book from the post office, I guessed it was there as amazon said it was delivered. and I did two online transactions. oen was renewing my membership in the American historical association. the other was ordering some bowl game items from the iowa hawk shop. eventually I did get on the road to do other things. one of those was to order some prints on photos at Walgreen. I hadn't done that or get a CD of photos to upload to facebook since august, just a few days after the fringe festival ended. some were scanned onto a zip drive, and had been added to that device back in October.
    I went to the comedy club tonight, since I wanted to see the d.c. native perform. I did, but was also pleased that I performed as well, they got me a guest set. it also became a paid gig, and after the show I said to the button, who was running the sound booth, how I keep all of my earnings at the office. I liked how the set went well. I admitted that I was working without a safety net as I didn't write down any notes before it. but as I have said before, I have been at it for a while. if I don't know how to fill in 5 minutes of stage time, then something is wrong. the MC I had seen at 10k laughs festival, based in des moines, iowa, but originally from Louisiana. it did make me think of living in west des moines for a year and a half after college in iowa city. so that was my first joke, and the importance of the movie 'good will hunting' was covered as well. i spoke of doing a horse drawn carriage ride, and liking egg nog. and how it means something to hear 'I love you'. and having pizza in new York, something I had discussed with the headliner before the show. I got a drink ticket and used it, so it was a night of 2 glasses of grain belt beer. most of the time I do just one beer. I decided to take it easy on the driving to and from the venue, due to the snow. and I liked watching some Christmas specials tonight on CBS, first 'rudolph' and then two versions of 'frosty the snowman'. the original, and then one that was sort of a sequel. I didn't like 'frosty returns' much as I saw it as a rip-off of some ideas from 'Charlie brown and snoopy'. since one character is called Charles and some of them looked like characters from the comic strip.

No comments:

Post a Comment