Friday, December 23, 2016

inspiring others

tonight I went to a holiday gathering for performers. it made me laugh when one of them, the Wisconsin girl, said I inspired her. as I recall, it was in reference to how I spend less time watching others perform as I got more serious about my own performing. I said 'just supporting friends' isn't good enough anymore. also being inspired to write because of me I think. I sure was flattered as I am thrilled to share the stage with her, she is a brilliant comic. our styles are a lot alike, kind of dour. others made me laugh. I spoke with mason city's lady and said she did when she asked if there was any good news for her. and the bossman's lady as well, as she wanted to be name-checked in the article about me that was published last week. I said not even he was. and there was plenty of banter about my 'ring of honor'. I said there are 94 in it, including the late bill young. and i was trying to count how many i saw there at that event, it was at least 15. it was much like going to a comedy venue to perform, in terms of how many i saw. i was doing that count with brawler, after Louisville (and my fellow Bears fan) was asking me about it. some jokes about how some may not belong, like how i added the puppeteer and her guy but he isn't a comic. but i said he was still part of a notable gig, directing the turkeys sketches. and i said i added chameleon, who is a musician. i was thankful to make it as some of these people i hadn't seen in a while. one of them was an Omaha native. it was hard to ignore who wasn't there of course, that i would have liked to see. i know some had gigs, like international falls. and of course there was the big dog, and i was told he is always invited but hardly ever attends these events. i liked having some yuengling beer, i understand somebody brought a case of it as they had just been out east. it reminded me of being in new York city this august as i drank a can of it there, and brought back the can as a souvenir. along with the narrangansett can from the new York visit the previous year. i brought chili cheese chips, bot all were eaten so i brought them home with me.
   i stayed for a while after i finally got there. i said i would arrive at 6:30pm at the earliest but life happens. i made it just after 7pm. i stayed about 30 minutes later than typical at the office, wanting to get caught up before leaving as i would be out on Friday. i was on my own doing the payoff report as my cohort was taking the day off. it meant the volume was comparable to my share on a Monday, a fairly big volume. it was coupled with plenty of new titles, i did just over half of the 200. and special requests, there was three that i did during the extra half hour.
   i liked how i didn't look at my phone for a while at the event. i look at it to check the time. it means i am having a good time if i am not looking at it. but it was hard to ignore the time when some started leaving later in the evening. i at first was interested in what i understood was trivia on a video game platform, but found out i couldn't play as i still have a flip phone. i did go on home shortly after that, but i did say i was thankful i made it to the hosts of the event. actually i called the bossman 'the moderator' saying he had to be all things to all people. so i understood how it took a while for me to be first on the lsit of people to talk to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment