Friday, December 16, 2016

waterloo, ABBA

I loved attending a burlesque show tonight, and one of the musical numbers was an ABBA song, 'waterloo'. I said 'I get it' as I saw the dancer come out with a napoleon outfit. the video I found on youtube does show a bust of napoleon in it. and this is a metaphor, if I am not mistaken, for a relationship. I had to look at the lyrics more closely. as a history major I loved it! 'at waterloo, napoleon did surrender. I have met my destiny in quite a similar way. the history book on the shelf is always repeating itself.' later on it does allude to a relationship. 'knowing my fate is to be with you, finally facing my waterloo'. and 'feel like I win when I lose'.
    there were good musical numbers all around. one was velma from Scooby-doo, dancing to 'what a feeling' from the movie 'flashdance'. a belly dancer chose 'jingle bells'. another number in the first act was 'hungry eyes'. and another was dressed like a poinsettia plant, and danced to 'nutcracker'. and the companion to 'waterloo' at the end of the first act, was 'take a chance on me' and had 'PAC dancers'- all politicians. the MC was the Melissa joan hart look-alike, and did one number in the second act. she was wearing presents or gift bags, and I didn't quite place the song but it sounded like 'destiny's child' was name-checked and part of it was '12 days of christmas'. I liked the belly dancer choosing 'linus and lucy', the official name of the theme song for Charlie brown and snoopy specials. others I recognized and liked were 'everything I own' by bread, and the weird al yankovic parody of the kinks song 'lola' changed to the star wars character 'yoda'. first time I had heard it. with the bread song the dancer did have a bag of bread ready as a prop, a nice touch. the show closer was a producer, and she did the cher parody that I had seen before, of 'turn back time' and 'got you babe'.
   I spoke with a man at the bar when I arrived to get my beer, and noticed he had a pie. but it wasn't fruit-filled, it was a chicken pot pie. he did watch the show, and I sat at his table. when I spoke of the MC and what she looked like he said it was his lady friend. I found out I have some of the same friends from the comedy circuit as this man. he did follow me on twitter, and I will have to return the favor sometime soon.
   I went to the Chicago hot dog place tonight, the place looked deserted likely due to the snow storm. I looked around at a nearby grocery store after I was done, and bought a box of expired fiber one bars. it was in the discount bin. I took it home along with the star tribune paper I bought at a super-America. then after a few minutes I ventured out again to get to the burlesque show.
   at the office the Filipino man did move his work station over to my department in the afternoon, as he is becoming the manager as of Monday. we did speak some about my interests on visiting his native land, and it sounds like I need to narrow down what time of year to go. he said do not go in the warmer months where I would have to shower 3 times a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment