Saturday, December 31, 2016

gridiron glory exhibit

I went to the football exhibit at the Minnesota history center in st. paul at midday, called 'gridiron glory'. it is a traveling exhibit on loan from the pro football hall of fame in canton, ohio. I have been to canton to see the hall of fame a number of years ago, as I recall 2009 on a side trip from Columbus. no surprise how one section was dedicated to the local team, the Vikings. it did seem to be a comprehensive exhibit. I probably learned a few things while there, first one that comes to mind was how walter payton got a call from president Reagan when he broke jim brown's career rushing record. great to see some things about the football players in movies, even going back to the 1920s and the ones that 'galloping ghost', red grange, was in. there was a DVD copy of the movie 'brian's song' as well, I recall watching it as a good behavior movie in elementary school. it of course was about Chicago bears player brian piccolo. one could even try one some shoulder pads for size. I did try the place kicking and throwing a pass, as expected I wasn't that good. as a graduate of the university of iowa I liked seeing something about duke slater, as I lived in a dorm building named for him. not much about rival leagues, such as the now-defunct USFL or the Canadian league.
   I went to a play in Plymouth as well, 'away in the basement'. I had seen some other plays in the series, there are now six. it was the final day of its run, and I chose the 3pm performance as I wanted to keep my evening free. when I got home I eventually fell asleep and woke up just after 8pm. then I was on the road again, to perform a guest set a micro-brewery. pleased to get stage time on new year's eve, it seems to be a big thing to be performing on that day. first time I had done so. I did day thank you to the headliner, conga line, for the stage time. I did ones about Walgreen is open, a nicki minaj song, the football exhibit, and the Christmas play. I led off with one inspired by one of her jokes, about a Christmas song that mentions a parson. it reminded me of art class in grade school where we were learning about grant wood. I even helped with the drawings, two of them. one was for some Charlie brown candy, another for a shirt. great sharing the stage with the button, laundry, and mr. pibb as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment