Thursday, December 15, 2016

signature group

my former boss and mentor added me to a facebook group. it is those who had worked for the signature group. this is where I worked when I was living in suburban Chicago. the office was in Schaumburg, near woodfield mall. I was there for nearly five years, and moved to Minnesota after I was laid off. looking at the group list there were many memories that flooded back for me. I did say I would have to see what pictures I had, and it meant finding out what albums they are in. there are some, but as expected not group pictures. I was a loner then, and I still am. so it was usually just me or one other person with me in the pictures. in my 'thank you for the add' posting I said it reminded me of how I haven't heard from one co-worker in a while, tanika. I was pleased with what I found, as one of them was me with a TV I won for signing up club memberships. still have it still use it, more than a decade later. and another was a diversity quilt. my patch on it was the iowa hawkeyes logo, and the Canadian flag was the one representing my former boss and mentor. she was born in montreal. there was mention of some in the postings, people that hadn't been heard from in a while. the response often was that those people hate social media.
   did I make the most of my day off? depends on who you ask. I know I stayed in for a while. I wanted to respond to some of the things on facebook and twitter related to the article that was about me and performing. I also shared the article in case some of the people on my 'friends list' hadn't seen it yet. great to see all of the recognition I am getting from friends about it. when I shared it I referred to the kim basinger acceptance speech for the Oscar for 'LA confidential'. she said she wanted to 'thank everyone she has ever met in her entire life'. but she did say more, according to the video I found on youtube. I did tag ten people in my comment on the share, people who had been name-checked in the article. all of them were people I had been given valuable stage time, or had shared the stage with. I said I even have at least one hater, which means I must be doing something right. at least that is what rap music keeps telling us, or even the taylor swift song  'shake it off'.
   I think I learned a valuable lesson today. I know my dad said he didn't want to just eat oatmeal on top of the microwave oven, something I usually do. well today I tried taking it to my table that the laptop is on, and balanced it on top of my coffee mug that had orange juice in it. I ended up eating none of the oatmeal as it all spilled out, but the bowl didn't break. as the saying goes, 'no use crying over spilled milk'. so I just told myself to clean it up and I was stuck with eating something else for breakfast. I will try not to forget how disappointed I was in myself and how foolish it was.
   at about 1:30 in the afternoon I laid down and figured I wouldn't be asleep for long, but I awoke about 3 hours later. by then I said I at least wanted to get to the post office before it closed at 5pm. I did, and just one item was waiting. it was the two state quarters from this year that I didn't have yet. so I put them in the collector map I have. I had planned on doing more, like printing things at the library, but that will have to wait until the weekend. I also decided to check to see if I had a book about Madison square garden before ordering it online, and I did. thankful I checked. so I read through it. this is the one about 125 years, published in 2004.
   in the evening I did watch 2 'big bang theory' episodes. syndicated rerun was when Sheldon's twin  sister visited and his 3 friends were all hitting on her. prime time episode was when Bernadette had her baby, and it was on amy Farrah fowler's birthday. I eventually took a walk around the neighborhood, but it was shorter than what I typically take as it is cold out there, sub-zero. I did go return some carts to the grocery store. and I wrote 'please forward' on a bank statement not for me and put it back in the mail. I also found some coins, and 24 cents was put in my change bank. so it looks like I will have slightly more to turn in at the bank this weekend than the last time, 2 months ago. guess it helps to pay attention wherever I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment