Sunday, December 11, 2016

scars to your beautiful, alessia cara

a song I have been hearing quite a but lately is called 'scars to your beautiful' by alessia cara. the video shows various people, sharing their stories. this does make the song longer by a minute and a half. but as we all know, I like seeing people get interviewed. the song is mainly aimed at women, but I think some men will find inspiration in it as well. there are so many brilliant lyrics in it. 'she tries to cover up her pain and cut her woes away'. but the part I liked was the hook, 'you should you're beautiful just the way you are. and you don't have to change a thing, the world could change its heart'. and much like in no doubt's 'just a girl', I like how they turn something around. in that song it was 'lucky me', in alessia's song it is 'no scars to your beautiful, we're stars and we're beautiful'. and of course when pain is mentioned again, 'she says beauty is pain and there's beauty in everything'. and then there's proof of the social commentary that the song is, and I do like those who are willing to have social commentary in their art. 'let me be your mirror, help you see a little bit clearer, the light that shines within'.
   I had to pause the video so I could have more time to read the 'disclaimer' at the end. it was a personal message signed by alessia. 'oftentimes, the world both directly and indirectly tells us that we shouldn't be happy with ourselves if we don't fir certain beauty standards. 'scars to your beautiful' is a reminder that beauty isn't only one look, shape, size, or color. it isn't even always tangible. it comes in an endless amount of forms and we need to recognize that. this is the feeling I got from listening to the song, but I still like the added message. I know it isn't the first time I have written about alessia's songs, as I have also liked 'here', about how she doesn't like parties.
    I stayed in for a while today due to the snow. I did have to venture out to do my laundry, but I still waited as long as I could to dig out my car. I didn't do this until early evening, to pick up a photo order at Walgreen and then it was on to an open-mic to perform at. first time at this venue, I wanted to fill a void left by the 'donut party' being paused for a month. it served Mexican food, I hadn't eaten much after having oatmeal for breakfast so I did get a burrito, enchilada style, and some tecate beer. it went fine performing, I did two taco bell jokes. I led off with a reference to looking a little careless when wanting to finish my can of beer before taking the stage. others were about my snow shovel, taking a grocery store cart through the snow, chopping facebook pages, and ice cream at mcdonald's.
    after the show I did add plenty of photos to facebook. some of them already have likes to them. I created a new album, called 'new York/new jersey', as some were from my visit to new York in august. as usual, not all scanned onto the CD were added, as I wanted to stress quality. and I looked at the ones added previously. some were deleted for this same reason, wanting quality.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment