Saturday, March 4, 2017

iowa baseball vs. oral roberts

I went to a college baseball game at the Vikings stadium this afternoon. I checked the schedule of the dairy queen classic and found out there was an iowa game that fit my schedule. it was the one against oral Roberts. iowa never trailed in this one, going up 3-0 in the first on a home run. the long ball was good to them, most of their runs were scored that way. iowa won 7-5. it was my third event at this venue. I had a hot dog and some coffee while there, as I wanted an order that left me some change from $10. but normally I don't drink coffee. they gave me plenty of cream and sugar for it. as expected, the crowd was small, as college baseball doesn't interest most people.
   after the game I walked over to the macy's store in nicollet mall, as the liquidation sale is still happening. hard to know when to go when I think of having to pay for parking. I got two items there, undies and a bath towel. I take some care in inspecting the merchandise when it is all sales final, but I knew my size for the undies and hard to go wrong with a towel. I got plenty of photos there, another reason why I wanted to go. I wanted to get to the library but it closed before I got there, as I wanted a good look around at the store as I may not be able to get there again before the sale is over. I can move it back a day on printing things at the library, by going there before the donut party.
   I attended two comedy shows tonight, and did one thing I never thought I would do: turn down stage time. a friend was doing two shows at one venue, but after being at the first one I said I was leaving. I turned down the stage time for the second show as I said I just wasn't feeling it. I went to another show across town and the show runner said I looked sad, I said I was tired. later on after the show ended I said I, like most comics, had some issues I was dealing with and didn't want to burden anyone with those petty issues. the tired part was valid, though. hard to enjoy a show while tired. I liked meeting one of the comics after the show, saying I recognized her joke about working at a jewel grocery store from when I was in Chicago-land last weekend.
   I know that during the baseball game I was briefly paralyzed by the thought of how the lion symbolizes bravery and courage, except for the 'wizard of oz' lion anyway. and how I needed it to get through life. although I have said long ago how I had adopted the elephant as my symbol as that animal is known for being strong and having thick skin, something that is needed in order to survive in corporate America. it explains some of the plush elephants I still have, although I have downsized my collection some. what I like about performing is that it is a good way to avoid being paralyzed by any thoughts I have, as I am in control when onstage. I also thought about the weezer song 'say it ain't so' as I have heard it twice at karaoke nights this past week or so. the metaphor and imagery in some of the lyrics, like 'the son is drowning in the flood' really works for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment