Saturday, March 18, 2017

some kind of wonderful movie

I watched a movie on loan from the library this morning, 'some kind of wonderful'. I was inspired to do so after seeing the soundtrack for sale at the family dollar in my neighborhood, but I did not buy the soundtrack. I know I didn't like it as much as some other john hughes movies, though it did capture teen angst well. this may have been why I didn't like it, since I don't miss being that age. there was more drama than I cared for, with the main character's family as well as what was happening at high school. I did like the places he visited when he went on a date with the lea Thompson character. this included an art museum, and an amphitheater. I know the story did not take place in Chicago, like most john hughes movies do, but in California. not many actors that I recognized in it, besides lea there was also john ashton, who played his dad. I liked some of the lines from his drummer friend, the tomboy. a new twist on 'don't judge a book by its cover', as well as one about swallowing pride and blood. I know I didn't like who lea dated at first, as I kept swearing at that character. since he was a snob and treated people like dirt. but it did remind me of what my dad said when I was young, about some characters. 'you're not supposed to like them'. I had tried to watch it earlier in the week, but I was too tired and fell asleep. so I knew it would be easier to try again on the weekend, especially in the morning.
    I made it to the post office just before closing this afternoon, and picked up what was there, 5 e-bay orders of postcards as well as a magazine. I said the man helping me was funny, and I decided to claim british penny that was in a small dish. I recognized it as being different from the others, since it is larger than an American penny. eventually I made it to the library as well, to print things, also just before closing time.
   I made it to a show in the evening in uptown Minneapolis, it was related to women's history month. I had seen plays by this troupe before, this was the third edition of it that I had seen. this was about villainous women. after the play I walked down to a Walgreen and picked up some supplies before I got in my car and went home. I also made it to the grocery store just before closing time. see a pattern here? i think some call it 'Parkinson's law'. I had been working on better organizing my postcard collection, and now I am satisfied with it. instead of destroying some of them that I no longer want, especially the duplicate ones, I am mailing them to family that sent me birthday cards. already sent one to my dad when I was at the post office earlier today, and will get two others ready this weekend. usually I write brief letters to all, and I still might send letters to the other two. I will be keeping most of the postcards, only a handful are not being kept. I wanted to stress quality, so it means doing an assessment about the best ones, especially places I visit regularly like my annual visits. I also had to ask myself where the postcards from Galesburg, IL, were as I traveled there this fall. a quick check of a tote bag with tourist souvenirs, and they were found. 

No comments:

Post a Comment