Sunday, September 1, 2019

fernando's near drake university

my day started at my hotel in des moines, iowa, near merle hay mall. i got to see a classmate around midday for lunch at a place called Fernando's, near drake university. there was some framed posters on the wall there, I noticed one about the drake relays from 1979, it may have been bruce jenner. before that I met my classmate at the adjacent coffee shop, which had plenty of photography art on the wall that I liked looking at. it appeared to be from concerts at some small music venues. the place we ate at had jarritos soda, I said I have it at a place I perform at in the twin cities. i had a burrito, it reminded me of going to panchero's in iowa city. he wanted to hear about me and performing, except I don't think I talked about it all that much. i was given some book recommendations, memoirs by supereme court justice john paul stevens, as well as university of iowa president willard 'sandy' boyd. 
  I went to another iowa cubs baseball game, in this one iowa won 6-5 after going up 5-0 in the 1st inning. i liked seeing the kids enjoy the fountain near the right field corner. after the game i went to merle hay mall and found some hawkeye socks at the target store. then i got on the road in earnest, back to minnesota. my next stop was at the flying j travel plaza in hamilton county. i needed fuel, and to go to the bathroom. then it was in clear lake for food as well as fuel. final stop i was nearly home, at the edge of the metro area. as usual, it didn't take long to empty my duffle bag from being out of town for a weekend. it was mostly dirty clothes and cheap souvenirs. not much was waiting when i got back, at least important things, in terms of the postal mail or email. i finished some online surveys. i checked the status on the petition to close a hotel in my hometown, it is slowly gaining more signatures, now up to 969 but still short of 1,000. it is probably a good idea to be retiring for the night real soon, since i will need to return the rental vehicle in the morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment