Sunday, September 29, 2019

linda ronstadt movie

i went to the Edina theater this afternoon and saw a documentary movie about musician linda Ronstadt. I was largely unfamiliar with her music, since she was mostly a hitmaker in the 1970s and I am too young to recall that. so, as usual, I learned something while there. it is why I like bio-pics, and documentaries, especially about musicians. I mainly knew about her dating California governor jerry brown. it covered well who her contemporaries were, such as members of the eagles. there was plenty of clips from talk shows, such as johnny carson, and dick cavett. as a baseball fan, of course I liked seeing mention of her singing the national anthem at a dodgers baseball game, possibly in the world series. and she does talk of having to retire from performing due to Parkinson's disease. there are currently three theaters showing it in this metro area, but I made the right choice with going to Edina. it is known for showing 'art films' and I am used to how they do things there, such as the 'lobby cards' promoting movies as well as the flyer about upcoming movies. the one in Roseville wouldn't have this, since it is owned by a different company. looks like the bio-pic about judy garland may be in Edina next weekend. I saw a facebook friend talk about wanting to see it, I said I am interested but not this weekend. I chose an early screening today so I would be home in time for the bears-Vikings football game. the bears won 16-6, in Chicago.
     before I left for the theater, I watched another charlie brown DVD. it was 'snoopy come home'. I did so after finding something online about some area theaters showing it, and I told myself there was no need for it when I already have it on disc. It wasn't the only time I filled in time this way this weekend, the other was 'charlie brown's all-stars' since I am still in the mood for baseball. speaking of that, it looks like the st. louis cardinals are division champions. they beat the cubs 9-0 today to clinch it. next up in the playoffs is atlanta. I checked the stats and it looks like yadier Molina is closing in on some notable milestones. I knew about 2,000 games played as a cardinal was in range for early next season, then found out so is 2,000 hits. this evening after watching 'the simpsons' I took a long walk around the neighborhood, hadn't done one of these much lately. but I liked walking on a bridge over the interstate, being above 'the craziness of it'. and it helped with finding ideas to look up. a dry cleaner had something in the window about a 'booya' soup event, and it reminds me of how this is the season for it so it is time to find the schedule online and print it. one thing often leads to another, and it prompted me about how the annual spaghetti dinner at a community center is coming up as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment