Saturday, September 28, 2019

verlander 3000

I was watching the baseball game on fox tonight, cubs-cardinals, and there was a report about Justin verlander reaching the 3,000 strikeout milestone. he is just the 18th pitcher to join this club. I checked the stats, and he has over 200 career wins, and may be the only 20-game winner in the majors this season. so he has a chance at reaching the 300-win plateau, as well as 4,000 strikeouts, at this pace in five years. as a history major, I am aware that we celebrate longevity, things that stand the test of time. he has pitched for the tigers, and astros, but I am not sure if I have seen him pitch in person, since of course pitchers don't play everyday. I noticed the decided difference between these two all-time lists. there hasn't been a 300-game winner since randy Johnson in 2009. and seven of them, out of 24 in all,  notched enough wins for this plateau before the first world series was played in 1903. but the strikeouts are different, as there was just walter Johnson for a while, in 1923, until bob Gibson joined in 1974. of course Nolan Ryan is the record-holder, the only one to reach 5,000. I am aware of how fans like to see strikeouts, although my preference is just to get outs and get the win. the cubs won the game 8-6, but the brewers lost to the rockies 3-2 in 10 innings, so the cardinals still lead the division by one game. it is the only division not yet clinched.
   there were errands to run, and I got started on them fairly early. after a quick breakfast at home, it was to the post office, where the two charlie brown books I had ordered from amazon were there. they were good retrospectives, from 1970 as well as 1980. then it was on to the bank to deposit a check, it was a small rebate on health insurance premiums. after a short time at home again, it was on to the repair shop. it didn't take long to get the bulb replaced on the headlight, although I had to use my phone while in the shop to get somebody to the front desk. the shop is under renovation. I went to the grocery store in the afternoon, and considered going to a movie but knew there probably wasn't enough time so it will be moved back a day. I was tired once I got back from grocery shopping so I laid down for a while. the baseball game had just started when I woke up and decided to get up. after the late news I went to do some karaoke, and sang 'sunday morning' by maroon 5. I like their recent song, 'memories', explaining why this band was on my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment