Sunday, September 22, 2019

wild rose movie

this afternoon I saw the movie 'wild rose', about a Scottish lady trying to make it as a country singer. it was a single screening per day at plaza Maplewood, a discount theater owned by a church. I think it was just my second visit there, and the first time in 10 years, when I saw 'yes man' starring jim carrey. I noticed how Kacey Musgraves had a cameo in it. I liked listening to the accents in it. I had heard about this movie at the MSP film festival in april, but of course movies have a limited number of screenings there. I saw two at this year's festival, and it wasn't one of them. but much like some other movies, I got another chance because it got a wider release. this was also true about another music movie, 'patti cakes'. some of it was filmed in Nashville, a city I haven't visited yet but it would be nice to get there someday. I liked how there was a minimal number of ads and previews before the movie started.
    this morning I watched one of my DVD movies, 'sweet dreams', the bio-pic about singer patsy cline. I did so because I saw a filmography for john Goodman after watching 'always' and I had to satisfy my curiosity. I found out he had a small role in it, as Otis. I think this was a friend of patsy's husband. I read Friday's paper after the movie was done, and after having lunch. it was helpful to do so as I get it for the movie times for the weekend. I had to look up some of the movies listed there, but it looks like just one appealed to me after the research. this is the documentary about singer linda Ronstadt, so I can go see it next weekend. after going to the movie theater, I got home in time to watch another segment of the ken burns documentary about country music. this segment was one that had quite a bit about johnny cash. also about some lady singers, such as Loretta lynn and dolly parton. it covered 1964-68, so they were getting into an era where I am more familiar with the singers since some of them still have careers at this time. and in the case of charley pride, somebody I have seen in concert. 

No comments:

Post a Comment