Sunday, September 8, 2019

high fidelity movie

this morning I watched a DVD movie on loan from the library, 'high fidelity'. I recognized many of the actors in it, including the star, john cusack. also his sister, joan, as well as lisa bonet, sara gilbert, tim robbins, Catherine zeta-jones, and jack black. it was about the owner of a record shop in Chicago, talking to the camera about his failed dating relationships. he talks about the 'top five'. he has just went through a break-up. jack black's character works in the record shop, he was funny at times but also annoying. he reminds me of some of the people I have known over the years, the 'slacker' type. I liked how there was a clip showing the biograph theater on the north side of the city, famous for where Dillinger was shot. I had heard of some of the venues shown in it, such as the music box movie theater, and the double door music venue. although I never visited them when I lived in the area for nearly 6 years. I knew the music box showed indie movies, and as a suburbanite I was more comfortable going to Glen Ellyn. it is where I saw 'last days of disco' when I first moved to the area in 1998. I am aware that what this movie did was called 'breaking the fourth wall', referring to talking into the camera often. for whatever reason, I don't recall this movie being at theaters, even though if it was in the year 2000 this was during my time living there. of course I liked seeing some familiar scenes in it, such as the CTA trains, or 'the el'. there were plenty of songs listed in the closing credits, no surprise when he played an ex-DJ as well as a record shop being a big part of the storyline. I recognized one song as being a variation of 'the night Chicago died' by paper lace.
   I got kind of a late start on the drive to Northfield due to watching the movie first, but I made it just in time for the last bank robbery re-enactment at the annual jesse James festival. I got the festival button after the re-enactment. I looked around the middle of town, but the button was my only souvenir this time. I wanted to save some money for doing laundry. I said my choice of a parking space was 'problematic' since it was beyond the street where the parade would be happening. so it meant taking the long way around to get onto the road that takes me to the interstate. actually I stopped at the flying J travel plaza first, next to the interstate. I hadn't eaten lunch yet, and got a chili cheese dog there. on my way home I stopped at the Hy-Vee in Eagan and got a few fill-in items that I can't find at the aldi. I was tired so I laid down, and when I woke up I decided to get the laundry done before watching 'the simpsons'. I know I hadn't done laundry in a while. near the end of my time at the laundromat there was a woman talking about her espresso coffee from Starbucks and needing to get some socks dried. she asked to piggyback on my drying session, extend it by a quarter, but I turned her down. it was an odd request to me. she ended up getting her own dryer.


No comments:

Post a Comment