Saturday, September 14, 2019

second half, no announcer

I went to a high school football game tonight, my first of the season. it was st. paul highland park vs. st. paul como park. highland park won 35-6, it was 35-0 at the half. there were two interception returns for touchdown in this game, aka 'the pick-6', my favorite play of the game. actually there was 3, but one was called back by a penalty. notable was seeing a bagpipe player, when I went to get food early in the game. I asked if he was playing tonight, he said he had before the game started. I missed it, got there just as the game started. it was to start at 6pm, but started a few minutes before there. he played again at halftime, although I said I enjoy hearing bagpipers more as a group especially when there are drummers included. there was the parade of parents on the field since it was parents night, not just for the players but also the cheerleaders. another notable thing about the game was hearing no PA announcer in the second half, not sure why. the second half went quicker than the first. the game was over a little after 8pm, and I said it was still early. so I went home and worked on some things on my laptop, such as getting caught up on online surveys.
    eventually I went out again, to sing karaoke. it was 'soul to squeeze' by the red hot chili peppers. while I was watching cable TV there, since I wanted to see baseball highlights, I was approached by a younger woman who invited me to sit with her friends. at first I wondered if she was working for the bar, as she asked if I wanted to do shot drinks. but I already had a beer. she said her name was angel, and she plays professional basketball, in spain I think. I guess she briefly played for the local team, the Minnesota lynx. and played in college at Marquette in Milwaukee, and plans on getting a master's at drake. it prompted me to say that I am from iowa, and grew up near des moines. she was there to sing as well, in fact went on right after me. she had a neck tattoo, also notable about her. I did not recognize the song she sang, a rap song that name-checked yves saint Laurent.
   it was a busy day for me before going to the football game. I had two in-person interviews, and got some bottled water at both. one was through a staffing agency, the lid-lifter. the second was one where I applied directly, but needed help getting there as I missed the turn. I pulled into a lot at a strip mall across the street from a mcdonald's and called them. between the two interviews I did some errand running. first it was to Walgreen for my weekly order, then to the library to print some things and get two more DVDs to watch. I was wiped out by the time I got home, so I laid down and fell asleep for a little while. I still had enough time to get to the ATM before the game started.

No comments:

Post a Comment