Thursday, September 26, 2019

h and m grand opening

I went to look around at rosedale mall in Roseville just before midday and saw a line forming at the h and m store. I found out it was a grand opening, at 12noon. so I got in line and was given a card to scratch off. except I didn't buy anything, but I did go inside and look around. I had shopped at this chain store before, in uptown Minneapolis when I was looking for an outfit for a date. before this I was across the road at the Best buy, using a gift certificate that was expiring soon. I got a CD and a cookie, after looking at the DVDs first because I could find them more easily. an employee said the CDs were all in a discount bin near the front of the store, and I decided on one by metallica, the self-titled one from 1991. good thing I passed on the one from alice in chains, as expected I already had one by them. there were two by metallica that interested me, the other had 'for whom the bell tolls' on it. I have already played some of this CD since I can in my car.
   there was some movement on the job front but not a lot. the main thing was a phone interview with a bank in the afternoon. I considered going to a job fair, but I had been to the one in Shakopee just last week and I knew what was in the lineup. it looked like very little would be of interest to me. I responded to a voicemail from a company claiming they are having interviews at midday Friday, but I have yet to hear them respond to me.
   I went to the library after the mall and printed some things. some of those were related to the 1959 pan-am games in Chicago. I was interested in the baseball tournament held there, at both the stadiums for the cubs and white sox. articles I found said there was not much media coverage of it, and there was low attendance. some of this was due to a big interest in the white sox that year and their pennant race. one of them was from 1987, the year that another American city, Indianapolis, hosted the pan-am games. a comparison was being done between the two. I once saw a photo used by the media for sale on e-bay, it was from Wrigley field, but I did not buy it. being a history major, of course this explains some of my interest in it. some great athletes get started in Olympic-type events like this one. for baseball, it said lou brock played for the US team. and for basketball, jerry west , Oscar Robertson, and bob boozer did. of course I am reminded of my visit to the pan-am games in Toronto back in 2015. I made the most of my time there, seeing 2 baseball games, 2 basketball games, and one session of boxing. along with a blue jays baseball game, the hockey hall of fame, and 2 comedy shows. it was just my 3rd visit to Canada, so I knew well enough to make it count.
  in the evening I went to the karaoke bar and sang 2 songs. it was 'sad but true' by metallica, and 'blue moon of Kentucky' by bill Monroe. just before I left the karaoke jockey showed me videos on his phone of flame throwers. it was spurred by my mention of noticing one lyric in a song that somebody was singing was about a Molotov cocktail.

No comments:

Post a Comment