Saturday, September 14, 2019

hands of stone movie

i watched a DVD movie on loan from the library this morning, 'hands of stone'. it was a bio-pic about Roberto duran, the boxer. much like many other bio-pics, it mostly covered his time before he was famous and then ends shortly after the pinnacle of his fame. in this case, just one fight was depicted after the 'no mas' fight against sugar ray leonard in 1980. I recognized some of the actors in it, the main one was Robert deniro, who played his trainer. ellen barkin played the trainer's wife, and a rapper played sugar ray. I was confused at first when I saw 'usher Raymond IV', but then saw the special features which had a music video in it. this was how I found out it was usher, the rapper. odd how there is a disclaimer in the closing credits that said 'it was fictitious', when I am used to seeing 'some scenes and characters were invented for dramatic effect'. it does cover the politics of his native panama, including the canal zone. I noticed how rod carew, the baseball player, was listed in the closing credits under 'thank you'. more evidence of 'it's not easy to be famous'.
   I got various things done today, including going to mcdonald's for lunch and getting one of those 'astronaut snoopy' books. there was also getting groceries. and two events in the evening. first was st. paul's Oktoberfest at the former Schmidt brewery. I stayed for an hour, got a good look around, and had some bratwurst and potato salad. then it was on to the saints stadium for the playoff series. I got a standing room ticket. saints fell behind early against Sioux city., 3-0 after one inning. but the long ball helped the saints, first it was a solo shot. then it was a grand slam to put them ahead 5-3, and they went on to win 6-3. I heard a few hecklers from the rail in the outfield. I also placed some postcard orders online. after the game I went to sing some karaoke, I did 'breakfast at tiffany's' by deep blue something. the man that sings without lyrics, known as sandy, did 'one tin soldier'.

No comments:

Post a Comment