Sunday, November 17, 2019

bill montgomery

i attended the memorial for my uncle, bill Montgomery, around midday. it was in Chariton, iowa, a town I did not grow up in but visited often over the years because my parents are from there. I woke up before the alarm went off and got breakfast from the front desk area. I was on the road ay 9am to give myself plenty of time to drive there, as it was just over an hour away. upon arrival at the church I said what I was there for, who my mom is, and I need a bathroom. once I relieved myself I went back to my car and got out my outfit so I could change into it. although my mom said that jeans would have been fine, I brought dress pants because I planned on wearing them. I sat up front next to my mom and her 2 sisters. one of my aunts is also an ordained minister and was an officiant. it meant something to me when the older aunt shared how my grandparents were opposed to her living with her second husband before marriage. she said she wanted to get a good idea of if it would pan out, and I am for that sentiment. there was food after the service, and it was likely the first time I ate in a church pew as there was nowhere else to sit in the basement. it was nice to see family, although I wish it was for a different reason, since weddings are more fun. I was sent with some food as there was plenty left over. I think some was still left at the church and I said that hopefully it will all get eaten after the sunday church service the next day. it was hard to ignore the building across the street, as it looked condemned and there was a notice posted at the front door to that effect. I hate to see empty buildings, hopefully the condemned building is demolished soon.
   on the way back to des moines, I made a few stops to take pictures such as in Osceola as the Amtrak station is there. I got on a train there at age 8 when I went with my parents to see Chicago. I was listening to the iowa-minnesota football game on the radio, then I was able to watch the 4th quarter on TV when I got back to my hotel. iowa won 23-19. in the evening I went to sing some karaoke, at a place I have been to before while in the area. my selection was 'ode to my family' by the cranberries. it was a song I played a lot around the time of another family funeral, my grandma, just over a decade ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment