Friday, November 29, 2019

i only want you to love me movie

I watched a DVD movie on loan from the library this morning, 'i only want you to love me'. it is German, and from the 1970s. I don't mind subtitled movies, although when I see them they are usually French. it caught my eye when flipping through the racks because of the image of somebody on a commuter train. and then of course the title itself. reading the description on the back, it meant something to me when 'the marriage of maria braun' was mentioned. It is by the same director, Fassbinder. 'braun' was a movie I heard about in a college class, known as rhetoric, a speech and writing class. I was not assigned the movie, and I still haven't seen it, but the title was memorable. I was assigned an American movie, 'midnight cowboy'. hearing about German movies during my first semester in Iowa city was proof of how 'it is a different world than where I came from'.
   now I should probably discuss 'love me', the movie I actually just saw. it is about a newlywed who moves to Munich for construction work. he hides the money problems from his wife, and some of them are caused by expensive purchases but also because having a baby can be expensive. it very much reinforces the choice of the title, as it was done for love and acceptance, which for a long time eluded the main character. one thing in it may have been true at the time, how Munich was the most expensive city in the nation. during the cold war, when there was two Germanys, this may have been the case, as the capital in the west was Bonn, and Berlin was divided by a wall. at times his money troubles meant having to ask his parents for help. certain scenes I am thankful were in it, as it captured the reality of life well. such as when he sleeps on a mattress, no bed frame, in a flat (apartment) before his wife moves in. and then seeing him all alone while waiting for a commuter train. were there any American things in it? probably. looks like the main character was wearing wrangler jeans. and in the special features, the 'making of' part, there is mention of an actor being 'like Charles bronson'. also in the 'making of' part, I noticed that 'doppelganger' seemed to be the same word in both languages. Wikipedia states it is a German word, so it was 'borrowed' from this language. there was one point where I was confused, thinking it was his dad in a bar scene, but it was a 'doppelganger' in his adopted city. the story is told through flashbacks, while the main character talks to a psychologist. it was a good story, it held my attention.
   when I went to the library to return two movies, I got two more. I think I will have enough time to see them this weekend. it was mostly a leisurely day, but I also made it to Walgreen for my weekly order which includes getting the Minneapolis paper and a few food items. I had hoped to watch the Iowa vs. Nebraska football game on TV, but the paper said it was on big ten network. so for a while in the afternoon, I laid down and fell asleep. I also did my annual viewing of the charlie brown thanksgiving special. in the evening I watched some of 'bonnie and clyde' on the 'movies!' channel. after the news I went to sing karaoke, I chose 'fire down below' by bob seger. it was snowing by the time I left for the karaoke bar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment