Saturday, January 4, 2020

doug woog arena

i went to a hockey game at doug woog arena in south st. paul this afternoon, the local high school team, the packers, was playing Rochester century. it ended in a 2-2 tie, though I think south st. paul was ahead with shots on goal for most of the game. century scored first, just past the midway point of the first period. no scoring in the 2nd, then SSP tied it at about 5 minutes into the third. century went ahead with just over 6 minutes left, then SSP tied it again just about 1 1/2 minutes later. and there was no scoring in the 8-minute sudden death period. during the first intermission, the school was honoring their best players. this included woog himself, a well as phil Housley. both have their numbers retired, four players in all have retired numbers. I think I saw a former coworker there, his brother is the head coach of the team. I liked reading about woog near the entrance, there was a display about this man. I mainly knew he was coach of the Minnesota gophers, but he had also played for that team in college. during previous visits to the town I had driven past the turn-off to the arena, but this was my first time there. I also found out how the arena had just been named for him in February 2016, before that it was known as 'wakota'. some signs up inside still had that name on it.
   I did much of my typical errand running today, including going to the post office. odd how I still sometimes get mail for somebody that isn't me, even though I have had the box for 5 years now. so when I went to the window to present a yellow card, I gave them the other item, had already wrote 'return to sender' on it. I also stopped at an office max and got some of the sheet protectors for baseball cards. at a nearby cub foods I got a TV dinner, then after dropping these items off it was time to get to the hockey game. after the game I stopped at a Hy-Vee and got another quart of egg nog, this is likely the last of the season for me. it was one of just four cartons left. I watched some of the NFL playoff game when I got home, but not a lot as I was online for much of the game, titans beat the patriots. I laid down after the game ended and fell asleep for a while, when I woke up I knew it was time to go sing karaoke. I did three songs, it was a much lighter crowd to sing likely due to the change in the karaoke jockey. I sang 'copperhead road' by steve earle, 'tide is high' by blondie, and 'applause' by lady gaga. a lighter crowd does mean more chances to sing. I talked with one dude for a little while at the bar, he liked my pea-coat. he eventually sang as well, 'i feel good' by James brown. I know I was inspired to sing some lady gaga after placing an amazon order this evening for the soundtrack from the movie 'star is born' as she is in it. this was another free order since I have some gift card money to use from answering surveys from enterprise rent-a-car.



No comments:

Post a Comment