Friday, January 3, 2020

true stories movie

i watched a DVD on loan from the library tonight, 'true stories'. the narrator was david byrne, the frontman from the band talking heads. I chose it because john Goodman is in it. the movie takes place in a fictional town celebrating the texas 150, in 1986. it looks a little dated now, because in the mall scenes one sees two stores no longer in business- Montgomery ward, and Waldenbooks. there is a little bit of everything in it, such an evangelist, a voodoo priest, a talent show, and fashion show. memorable was the compulsive liar in it that was always name-dropping famous people, in the closing credits she is known as 'lying woman'. there is also a 'lazy woman' with a robot servant and even gets spoon-fed in bed. this might be what is now known as a 'mock-umentary', as I saw it making fun of various things. also memorable was the narrator driving around in a red Chrysler lebaron convertible. john Goodman was good as usual, he plays a man looking for a wife and even takes out a TV ad for it. no surprise how this became a vehicle for talking heads music, and another reminder of it being a 1980s movie was somebody being a dead ringer for prince, copying his look from the movie 'purple rain'. it inspired my song selection when I went to sing karaoke tonight, as I chose 'wild wild life' by talking heads.
    at work it was an up and down day. I was disgusted about another quality call given a low score. it led to me suffering from lack of confidence in my first call of the day, as it seemed to be too much like that call and I didn't want to make the same mistake of keeping it so I transferred it. after work I went to Walgreen to pick up a few things, including more Christmas candy half-off. it was a bag of little reese's peanut butter cups, but of course more than a week after the holiday the volume of candy has dwindled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment