Friday, January 17, 2020

the wrecked mall

I decided to stay in tonight due to the snowstorm. even though it looked like the snow has stopped falling for a while, the only thing 'canceled' was singing karaoke. somehow I ended up on youtube and found the scene from the movie 'blues brothers' where they drive through a mall. it was a sad story reading about the mall where it was filmed. it was the dixie square mall in Harvey, in the south suburbs of Chicago. some articles found online mentioned it had been closed for a year by the time the movie was filmed there. the mall was open for just 12 years, and often had crimes committed there. and it sat vacant for a while, eventually demolished in 2012 as the plans to redevelop had failed. it really was no surprise how the movie filmed at a 'dead mall', it seems to be a foreshadowing of the 'dead mall' phenomenon that is so rampant now. this is something I have to write off as 'economic darwinism', where the strong survive. I read plenty of trivia about the movie on IMDB.
  in reality, it was no big deal to stay in tonight, since my needs were still met. right after I got off the bus after work, I went to a nearby gas station and bought three items. some of these would have been bought at a Walgreen, but of course that is far enough away and I didn't want to venture out. so I got the Minneapolis paper, potato chips, and a can of an 'Arnold palmer' drink. and I heated up some egg rolls, along with finish up the chocolates from last week's visit to a Walgreen. after getting caught up on emails, including online surveys, I laid down for a while, the john wayne movie 'the cowboys' was on the 'movies!' channel. I had read the paper to get some ideas about movies to see, and I might be out of luck on seeing 'marriage story' at theaters despite the Oscar nominations. I checked some back issues and it was being shown in the area in late December. when I was riding the bus home this evening I rode with the attorney, who said she had seen it mentioned during the golden globe awards. something about encouraging people to go see it at theaters, as it was produced by Netflix. I do not have an account with that or any other streaming service, and when it was produced by them it may not get released to redbox. I am considering three movies, one of them being 'star wars-E9', but of course there is still the DVD from the library that I would like to watch as well. I know full well I can't stay in 'hibernation' for long. I have errand running I want to do on Saturday.
   at work, I had a meeting with the lead worker in the morning. I likely gained something from it, but not sure what as I had just one scored call to discuss and the meeting invite said 'bring two to talk about'. he said he was leaving the office at midday to beat the snowstorm. it got busier later in the day, as expected some were form orders, other calls were tougher. I did not have lunch with my 'big fan' or 'work spouse' as she was absent. I know she has taken the day off before due to weather as she drives in from Lakeville, so the commute is more of a chore than me taking the bus. I will admit that I didn't enjoy who I ended up lunching with. one of them is a rabid packers fan and I could tell he just plain enjoyed arguing with people. the packers thing is no big deal to me, but the arguing part is. he laughed in response to me offering up a weak and stale 'sex ed, driver ed' joke I had heard before, proof of the 'category' of jokes he likes doesn't work for me. it was in reference to a weak and stale joke that he wanted to tell. so I see it as a 'thanks for the warning' and I am more likely choose lunching by myself later on over lunching with these two as I am content with lunching by myself. I tend to spend less time in that room and I am more motivated to leave early and go to the library where I have time to look at the jigsaw puzzle of the day in the library. 

No comments:

Post a Comment