Saturday, January 18, 2020

lucky them movie

I watched a DVD on loan from the library this evening, it was 'lucky them'. it was about a writer for a music magazine, being asked to do a 'where are they now?' story about a musician she had dated 10 years ago that went missing. I did not recognize many of the actors in it, just johnny depp. he played the missing musician. I didn't like the main character much, she was described as 'self-destructing' in the special features and this is accurate. I didn't like her because she was always using people, a means to an end, or to put it more harshly, 'whoring' herself out. this was no doubt true about the rich man she met. he ends up joining the investigation, but at times it went too far, to the point of them trespassing. the movie is echoing the heyday of the seattle grunge music scene, and I would have enjoyed it more had it been more about the music and less about an investigation. and when he is found, it was anti-climactic. the movie has its moments, some scenes in it have passion, and I do like passion. the closing credits mention it is dedicated to paul newman, and this meant something to me. his wife, joanne woodward, is listed in the credits, but her role was 'voice only'. so I would have to say that this movie was disappointing. it took a while, but they covered how the movie got its name, but this is only briefly covered, one really has to be paying attention to get the reference.
    I am thankful I ventured out this morning, but of course it took a while to clear off the ice and snow from my car. I made it to the post office, one order was waiting for me there. I then wanted to get to a movie in Roseville, but realized there probably wasn't enough time so I went to the library instead and printed some things. sadly, two event tickets I couldn't print, so I will have to call about how to get admitted to those events. I did print the receipts so I have the confirmation numbers. I know it is a good idea to have as much information as possible when contacting the ticket office. then I got lunch at a popeye's chicken and picked up some things at a nearby cub foods. one of those was charlie brown valentine's day cards, which included pencils. I laid down for a while after getting home, and after watching the 6pm news I went for groceries. then dinner, and the movie. then I went to venture out again to sing karaoke, and did 'never say never' by the fray.

No comments:

Post a Comment