Wednesday, January 22, 2020

nail clipper PSA

i was riding the bus home after work and I noticed there was a PSA from metro transit. had to study it for a little while, but it was a nail clipper with eyes on it. and the word balloon said 'hey, thanks'. something about thank you for getting ready before boarding the bus. I haven't seen anyone clip nails on public transit, yet. but there are some annoying things that can happen while riding that I could do without. at work there was two notable callbacks. one was about paying for a garage and if it is to be included on a certificate of rent paid. another was showing proof of income taxes paid so the taxpayer isn't double charged in Canada. around lunchtime I saw a classmate from training after leaving the breakroom, but not the 'work spouse'. this is somebody I am having plenty of intellectual discussions with. there was mention of me doing karaoke, so I covered that for a little while. we started off with me asking if she was waiting for godot, a reference that wasn't lost on her. eventually I said I would welcome hearing a Cyndi Lauper song more than the ones that ladies like to sing all the time. and I spoke some of why I ended my longest dating relationship.
     the mention of music is relevant here, as I do like to write about that subject a lot. this led to me finding the song, 'girls just want to have fun', on youtube when I got home. found out Cyndi didn't write it, a man did- Robert hazard. some of the lyrics were changed when Cyndi performed it. I spoke of hearing this song when I was young, when it was a big hit. and the perspective I had that is different once I became an adult. seeing the video in the food court in Maplewood mall when I was in a relationship, understanding it was about a generation gap. girls didn't want to be housewives. I went online and found various interpretations of it, but most were about empowerment, which I decided to interpret it as too. and when I think about it, I often talk about empowerment myself. I know what it is like to have to say 'it is my life'- so a line such as 'i want to be the one to walk in the sun' has meaning to me. there were some other versions I found besides Robert's or Cyndi's. also the weird al parody, one by miley cyrus, and a live version by katy perry and nicki minaj. and to think, I figured the biggest music re-discovery this week was going to be michelle branch.
  I went to perform in the evening, it was great to see Nebraska, as well as Philadelphia native. I spoke of the handshaking reminding me of deacon frye on the TV show 'amen'. both are in the ring of honor. the show runner acted a little disappointed when there were no karaoke stories, it was harder to find good ones this week when I took one night off due to the weather. besides one about the 'loopy bartender' when prompted. a crowd member said she had hope to hear them, but still liked my set. 

No comments:

Post a Comment