Wednesday, April 22, 2020

beer cozies and lanyards

while doing cleanup around my home, I noticed a few things I hadn't realized before. I have plenty of beer cozies and lanyards. I know this is because they are given to me for various reasons. I now have seven beer can cozies in my refrigerator. I figured it was the best place to save space as I got them on souvenir cans. some of them are no surprise to me, given by employers, or by my alumni association. one recent discovery was a Chicago wolves cozy, the minor-league hockey team. there is a sponsor on it, sport clips, the hair cut place. I am used to giveaways at sporting events having a sponsor on them, this is what allows them to be a free item. there are three others that are on bottles, one of them 'simpsons'-themed and another 'dilly-dilly'. the latter was found in a discount bin at a grocery store, of course it was an ad campaign for bud light.
   the lanyards, I was up to nine after discovering some more recently, but I cut up and threw out some and I am currently down to five. I don't use them at work for my ID, I prefer a belt clip. employers gave out four of them, two from staffing agencies. the fifth is from the 2014 all-star game fan-fest. I think I still have one that was a promo for the movie 'blue crush', I got that and a frisbee at a concert I attended when I lived in suburban Chicago. I think the band I saw that night was weezer. they didn't say it was a movie, I had to find that out on my own. I haven't cracked open some boxes since I was laid off from an office job over two years ago, might be in one of those. There are plenty that still can be looked at.
   I did some more paper shredding this morning, two more grocery bags full. this would be five for the week. so now there is not much in the 'shred box'. there is one bag that I could go through again, it was one where I realized I had kept printed emails of failed job interviews. sometimes I take more than one look through before I am satisfied with what can be taken out.
   I had a phone interview this afternoon, two if you count the one through an agency. with the former it was with a bank, and I noticed it will require some heavy lifting. I wrote down many of the questions that were asked and I feel I answered them well. but it was disappointing to know it will be a two week wait to find out if I am selected or if there is another interview. the one through the agency is with the same bank. it was a little annoying because I spent much of the 20 minutes saying 'yes', confirming what was on my resume line by line.
    in the late afternoon I took a long walk, and picked up 3 cents. it works to try some variations on my walking route as it increases the odds of finding coins to pick up. of course it is still a question of when I can turn in change since banks are doing drive-up services only at this time. but I know I wasn't waiting too long to turn in change anyway. I was usually going every two months and I often had less than five dollars to deposit. I do see some people when out and about. it makes me thankful that I often go to the grocery store during the final hour they are open for the day as I am seeing a line of people waiting to get in during these walks. I don't have to wait to go in when I go in the evening. I know it is all about 'social distancing', but I still prefer avoiding wait times if I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment