Wednesday, April 1, 2020

job seeker webinar

I decided to tune into a job seeker webinar around midday today. it directed us to youtube. I joined about 3 minutes in, and noticed there were some who joined after me. it was done in just under an hour, and I did my best to take notes. a profound statement to me, and the final thing I wrote down, was 'we all need a competitive advantage'. I feel like I haven't had one for a while. good or bad, just like the comics or writers I know, there was 'merch' to sell. in this case it was a sales pitch to be a subscriber, get a job coach. I have been getting regular emails from this outfit for a while, dating back to a recommendation from an advisor in Burnsville.
   on the job front there was some activity. I filed some applications based on leads from a TV station and a government agency website. although some of them I told myself 'don't bother' because it kept spinning and didn't go anywhere. so I wrote 'stuck!' and moved to the next one on the list. later in the afternoon was when I started hearing back from some of the places I had contacted recently. one was an agency that called me earlier in the day and said 'there wasn't anything on first shift' and they told me how 20 people were hired 2 weeks ago. except my background check wasn't finished yet, so it sounded like I had applied too late. when I was out for a walk I heard my phone and decided to get a little off the beaten path, away from the car traffic, and was told that something had just opened up. the recruiter from the Carolinas got the requested information, but there were some technical issues before then. not sure when I will hear more about it. then not long after I got home, there was a text message asking me to schedule an interview. I checked email and the same message was there, so now I have something lined up for early next week. I prefer direct hire, so if I have to rank things I put this one ahead of the other two. all seem to be with the same finance company. I even applied to a grocery store, but all it said was 'seasonal work'. I passed on another grocery store because most of their jobs were part-time. I may have to pass on this one as well, if it is just part-time and the pay is too low. again, just like any other application filed, it is still a matter of if they contact me.
   during the walk I picked up 25 cents, at the bus stop much like before. and I dropped off an entry with publishers clearing house at the post office, although as usual no orders were placed. I noticed the sandwich shop that had 'open' in big letters is now being remodeled. so much like yogi berra, the baseball player, would say, 'it is open until it is closed'.

No comments:

Post a Comment