Saturday, June 27, 2020

arkansas movie, john malkovich

I watched a DVD movie, a Redbox rental, this morning, 'Arkansas'. I recognized John Malkovich and Vince Vaughn in it. The director, Clark Duke, also had a role in it. It was about drug runners. Notable was Vaughn wearing a St. Louis Cardinals hat, as he liked listening to them on the radio. I will admit that it was a little disappointing to see Malkovich in a fairly small role. also notable was when they got to Hot Springs, the welcome sign says it is the hometown of President Clinton. I am aware of how it is based on a book, this may explain how it was told in various chapters. naturally, there is a body count, since it is about drug running. there were some twists and turns throughout, so it may well be apt to call it a thriller. it was odd that one shooting was depicted without hearing a weapon being fired, likely for dramatic effect. the movie was all right but not that great. this is why I am thankful I only do some movies as rentals instead of at theaters as there is less money involved. one thing I know I really liked was the music in it, by the flaming lips. Because I recognized the songs as covers of country music standards. There was 'stopped loving her', 'country boy can survive', 'all the gold', and 'looking for love'. and it was weird to have one of them played on an 8-track, but still funny when the concept of an 8-track was explained to somebody who probably hadn't seen one before. the band appears in the movie to play one of those songs, when the main character is on a date. so this can happen where the music is better than the overall movie itself.
    when I went out to return the movie, I also went to Fed-ex to get the other two plates of reprinted baseball cards. eventually I put all four in the same plastic with cardboard protecting it, in order to save space. this was where I found out that this item was discounted by two dollars apiece, so this was a nice discovery. a sticker on the plastic was covering up the original price. Cy Young and Chief Bender were on the two I bought today, the third and fourth plates. plenty of minor league players as well, though sadly they largely ignored 'fly-over country' as the only ones from the Midwest on these reprinted cigarette cards were the St. Louis Browns. I also went to pick up e-bay orders from the post office, where I saw the loopy employee who likes to tell jokes. I was able to pick up five of the six orders, and asked about what would happen with the other one since next Saturday is the 4th of July. I was told that mailings are kept for 30 days, so having to skip a week is not a big deal. especially if the item fits inside the mailbox. so I did not place any more orders for now. I picked up 66 cents while walking. then of course there was the evening visit to the Aldi grocery store.
   after eating in the evening I did some more e-rewards surveys. I have cut back on doing them since it can be overwhelming to do them as well as the ones directly from an airline. so now I have enough to 'cash out' a reward on a different airline so I can have the time clock start over on activity. some airlines say 'miles do not expire' but others say some activity is needed at least once every 18 months to avoid mileage expiration. it would be nice to see the exhibit at the Minnesota history center about the music venue known as First Avenue, but on the website it just said 'closed for now'. I understand they are closed until the end of the month, at least, but that is coming soon. so I had expected some more information, but it was not available.

No comments:

Post a Comment