Saturday, June 13, 2020

snack food taxes

I went to Hy-Vee tonight and noticed it again on the receipt after going to self-checkout. some of the sales taxes on food and drink still don't quite make sense. I had two small bags of chips, there was tax on one but not the other. not on the Doritos, but on the Ruffles. even though they were found in the same section, and made by the same company, Frito-Lay. like many people, I try to avoid paying taxes whenever I can. so this seems to be added motivation to try to get 2 Doritos instead. even though the tax on a 50-cent purchase isn't much, in Minnesota it is just 4 cents. there is still the tax on the sparkling water as well, but the purchase price is also under a dollar. I like having flavor in drinks just as much as food, so I can't just drink tap water all of the time. especially when the sparkling water is still low on calories. I am already aware of the tax on candy bars and similar items such as Reese's peanut butter, but again, I like it a lot and I am willing to pay it because it isn't all that much.
   there was a crisis at work, found out after printing a ton of checks for one business line that they sent us the wrong date. so it meant finding all of them and tossing them in the recycle bin. we still got all of the right ones printed and out the door by the end of the day though. during one break I went over to Walgreen and there was dish soap, but not a lot, so I got one bottle. along with a 'last chance' item, hazel but M and Ms, it was half-off, under a dollar. after opening it to eat it in the evening, I saw how it was already expired. not sure how big a deal that was, as I didn't get sick from eating it. at lunchtime I went to get another vanilla cone at the Dairy Queen. in the evening I went on a walk and found 3 cents. the 'Big Bang Theory' reruns were when Sheldon decides to take a sabbatical, riding the rails, followed by Stuart going on a date with Denise.

No comments:

Post a Comment