Friday, December 31, 2010

BBQ Comedy

Went to a comedy show tonight at a BBQ place, it was one of 5 invites from Facebook for New Year's Eve. One comedian said he would like to see the blog, unsure why I haven't spoken of it much recently. I know what I write isn't going to be popular with all, but it hasn't stopped me from writing, nor should it as one should let their light shine. Sometimes I approach comedy the same way- I could be pursuing it more but unsure why. I know I found out after taking a critical writing class how I have no problem stating clearly and politely what works and what doesn't for me. My problem may be having my life cluttered a little too much with various interests. Put another way, am I spreading myself too thin? It in many ways shows up in terms of often being tired, due to staying up late to write the blog.
   Got a few joke ideas being there, like the drinks served and seeing a chalkboard next to the urinals in the bathroom.
   After the show tonight I contacted a Catholic nun I know for the first time since early May, before I started the blog. Sent a prayer request by email. It inspired me to look up songs, or maybe I should say hymns, on Youtube. It included 'One of Us' by Joan Osborne, 'Hallelujah'- Alison Crowe covering a Leonard Cohen song, and 'When They Ring the Golden Bells'. 'Do you hear the bells now ringing?' Would have to say yes despite not being very religious. Various versions were found, familiar with Natalie Merchant's but also found ones by Loretta Lynn and Emmylou Harris.
    A notable day at work since it was a short day due to the holiday, released after 5 hours of work in the early afternoon. Also notable since I had missed an announcement from Thursday, how a part of the business had been sold. It was the reason why I was laid off and left suburban Chicago- a sale of a business. It is likely I will keep my job, but would still lose some friends. After work I returned 2 movies to Blockbuster and bought tickets for the Twins fanfest in late January.
    After the show I did something I am not too proud of, but it wasn't costly. Stopped at a light and for some reason I went through the intersection before it went green again, a momentary lapse. I said something worse than 'oh no!' after doing that. It may be why I was a little paranoid after it, such as seeing cop cars despite already being out of the town where it happened. Or maybe it was due to upbringing, how I didn't like cops in small towns who had nothing better to do than harass teenagers for easy fine money. A cop car was why I changed lanes, but they weren't interested in me. There must have been a disturbance at a bar and grill, it was where the one squad car pulled up to, and one was already there. Anything can happen on New Year's Eve, especially if somebody has had too much to drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment