Friday, December 10, 2010

School Lunches and Skyboxes

I had a school lunch for the first time since I was in school as I went to meet my student. I got plenty with the $3.50 I paid, a sub sandwich, salad, roll, 2 types of fruit and milk. Read an article about Michelle Rhee, the school chancellor in Washington, DC, while waiting for my student. She has received media attention before about trying to improve the record, and image, of the schools. It was mentioned she was at the DC premiere of the documentary movie 'Waiting For Superman', one that I meant to see but haven't yet. So I decided to become a fan of it on Facebook for now, will probably have to see it on video.
   Also made it to a Wolves basketball game at the Target Center in Minneapolis tonight, a mentoring program event. Wolves beat Detroit 109-99, we had skybox seats, first time there. I had them with my employer when I lived in suburban Chicago, for some events at the United Center, Bulls and Blackhawks games. Crunch, the mascot, showed up for pictures, and we had pictures taken on the court after the game had ended, haven't done that too often before. We ate at Smalley's before the game, near the arena. Made sense to me about the restaurant's name after getting there, seeing pictures of Roy Smalley, the Twins baseball player.
   It was a day off from work, didn't do much aside from getting some Paul Newman cookies from the discount table at the nearby grocery store, my dad liked Paul Newman movies and bought his popcorn. Also ordered a shirt and button for Iowa's bowl game in Arizona later this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment