Monday, December 20, 2010

The Snowy Gopher Bowl

Attended the Bears-Vikings game at the U. of Minnesota tonight, Bears won 40-14. I estimated the crowd at 40,000, based on the number of empty seats in the upper deck, 45,000 tops. The online article I found said the announced attendance was about 40,500, so I was on target. Bears benefited from turnovers, after falling behind early 7-0 they got a field goal after an interception on a tipped pass.  I had more comfortable feet this time because of the boots, but since it snowed a lot during the game I headed for the concourse at halftime to get warmed up again. It helped to get the snow shaked off of me. Bears were up 17-7 at halftime. Before the game I met somebody who claimed to have attended the 1967 'Ice Bowl' in Green Bay. I do like hearing people's stories at events like these. There was a family from Fargo,ND, near me in the upper deck, I did take their picture on a digital camera when they asked. The wife held up a sign that said 'snowy and confused, where are my Cowboys?' The handwarmers I was given really worked, tried them in my right hand and I felt it real well after a while. I ate at a sandwich shop on campus before the game, Erbert Gerbert. It's a place I've eaten at before while there for Gopher events. At the stadium I had a Snickers candy bar and some hot chocolate. I picked up 2 free programs, one for  me and the other I am sending to my college roommate. I joked how the plastic that kept the heat in at concession stands made it look like a convenience store in a bad neighborhood. Some fans had fun with the snow by making sculptures out of it, using their big popcorn cup. Nice touch.
   The half day at work went fine, and I used a coupon from winning a Facebook drawing for a free meal. Found out he is closed Friday, due to the holiday, so I may want to move up eating there to Thursday. I liked that he honored it as long as I came in on Monday, drawing was Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment