Thursday, December 30, 2010

World's Greatest Dad

I had a half-day of work today, finished around 12noon. I then went home and did get 5 more holiday cards sent, and watched the other DVD I rented from Blockbuster, 'World's Greatest Dad'. Funny in some areas, disturbing in others, definitely dark. I like how they covered the subject of writing, since it is the premise of the story being told.
   I realized this week 10 years ago was when it was announced that Montgomery Ward was closing up shop. I shared in my status update on Facebook how it was memorable since my writing was published in a Chicago Sun-Times article.  Readers shared Wards memories and what "monkey ward" meant to them. Still thrilled when I think about it that my words were chosen over so many others. We were lit up like a Christmas tree for a while after the announcement, as I was doing call center work then and it meant servicing life insurance policies once sold in the Wards stores.
   Went to a comedy show tonight and liked getting to speak at length with one comic, and with another they informed me there have been some covers of my favorite Beatles song, 'Eleanor Rigby'. Found 2 on youtube- by Ray Charles, and Aretha Franklin.

No comments:

Post a Comment