Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Richie Havens

At work today a coworker asked me if I had looked up Richie Havens. I hadn't, but I recalled asking about the picture in their cube. I looked up his Wikipedia article and was impressed with what I found, like how he was the opening performer at the Woodstock 1969 festival. Same was true with one song being co-written by Lou Gossett, doing movies with the likes of Richard Pryor, performing at Clinton's inauguration, and writing an auto-biography. I liked how people can help me with my knowledge of music, as I like learning the history of entertainment and entertainers.
   I stopped at a grocery store I hadn't been to before tonight, picking up come egg nog. There was something about a dinner being offered this weekend for real cheap, so I may go back.
    Speaking of Wikipedia, I liked looking up things like 'davenport' after laughing at the name due to seeing it in my paperwork. I thought of the 'Wayne's World' movie line how it was '2 chimps on a davenport in a basement'. There's a city in Iowa with this name, and I've called it 'couch city' for this reason. Then I discussed with the same coworker things like schools being named after their benefactor, like Ball State or some Ivy League schools, in reference to sometimes a trademark becomes the most popular name for an item (like Mason jar as a canning jar). I found an article about Colonial Colleges, mostly Ivy League schools, so named since they were founded before the American Revolution.
   I slept for a while after work tonight, but I am thankful I looked up some of the Richie Havens music on youtube, so I could follow up with my coworker about it as I hated forgetting to do so earlier. I spoke of how I get more things done when I write them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment