Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Eight Legging It

I'm still not sure where I got the term '8-legging it' from, may have been something I misheard. But for some reason it's what I say whenever I'm running late and that described this morning. I told myself I could still make the bus for work and not have to drive in and pay for parking, got ready in less than 10 minutes. It meant going without breakfast, but I had some cookies at work, left over from the previous day. It would be funny to see what an artist rendering of it would look like.
    Checked messages on my cellphone after work, there was one from my college roommate from the night before when I was at the comedy club. I had called him after my date on Saturday, something I do often after dates. Still playing phone tag, said that Wednesday would be less busy for me as tonight is another comedian night. I informed my lady friend of the same thing, a short call, was touching base and trying to figure out what we can do this weekend. But we may only have time for dinner, which is fine with me.
    When I get bored at work I start thinking about subjects to look up online to keep my mind busy. Today it meant looking up the Wikipedia article about historian Irving Weber, somebody I heard about often while at the University of Iowa. I was familiar with how an elementary school was named for him there, and I thought of him again as I saw his name at the swimming venue while in Iowa City in late October. I still to learn as much as I can, it helps that I'm receptive to learning wherever possible. In this case it was how he became one of the owners of the Quality Chekd Dairy, a brand name I did recall seeing  in Iowa every so often.  
     This week I also looked up the Wikpedia articles about track star Steve Prefontaine, I liked his 'diamond in the rough' story and I have one of the movies based on his life, 'Without Limits', on DVD. In addition, I have the book and documentary about his life. Also looked up the largest football stadiums in the USA, after reading an article about the matchup in the Rose Bowl. A friend at work is from Wisconsin, and said the Badgers would be playing there, but wanted to look up their opponent, it is Texas Christian. It reminded me of how the Rose Bowl stadium was once the largest in the nation, but has since downsized and some others got larger. The University of Michigan football stadium is now the largest, seating more than 113,000. There are apparently now 6 that seat more than 100,000, and all of them are college stadiums. Just 2 of the top 20 are NFL stadiums. And after thinking of how I saw a week-old copy of USA Today on the bus about the World Cup sites if the USA got the tournament, I looked up the ones from the 1994 tournament that the USA hosted. There were 9, and some are no longer used much like the Silverdome near Detroit. I have seen events at some of them, like Soldier Field in Chicago and the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. Both of those were football games, and at RFK Stadium in Washington, DC I saw a baseball game. Of the top 20 stadiums, I have seen games at 2 of them, one of them is the Cotton Bowl, the other is Ohio Stadium at Ohio State University. Proof of how college football is really popular, and it makes sense why. It's more of a local thing as not every state has an NFL team. And school spirit seems to trump civic pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment