Sunday, December 5, 2010

Drumline and Chasing 3000

I watched both of the DVDs I got from Blockbuster today, first was 'Chasing 3000' about an odyssey to see the 3000th hit by Pittsburgh Pirates player Roberto Clemente. Liked that Ray Liotta was in it, reminding me of another baseball movie he did, "Field of Dreams". I like road movies and baseball movies, so it definitely filled the bill for me. The other, "Drumline", was a nice story, I actually thought it was a documentary when I first heard of it. It was a familiar story, of somebody talented and needing some guidance.
    I made it to the comedy club tonight, as usual it was nice to see everybody I know. After I got home I saw the message about the bowl game and opponent the Iowa Hawkeyes will have, it will be Missouri in the Insight Bowl in Arizona. I was familiar with the story how the two haven't played since 1910, though there was a 4-game series scheduled and Missouri backed out. It was why Iowa scheduled Northern Iowa in 2005. My dad had told me the story about the 'gentlemen's agreement' many college football teams had due to the racism in sports at the time, especially in the southern states. Nonwhite players weren't common then in football or baseball. It was why there was a Negro baseball League. A similar story about a black player being beat up was what led to the Floyd of Rosedale trophy, when Iowa plays Minnesota. Other Iowa schools dealt with these issues, like at Iowa State. The football stadium is named for Jack Trice, who died from injuries on the field, in the 1920s. Even later, in the 1950s, I found a story in the book 'Rites of Autumn' about a cheap shot on a Drake player. As a history major I understand the way things were. I do not condone what happened, nor do I apologize for it since it was a long time ago and wasn't done by me.
   At some point it will mean ordering a bowl game shirt and button, I've ordered this online many times before. Since I don't know how much time I will spend in Iowa for Christmas- on days the stores are open- it's best to just order online. With what the shipping charge is it makes perfect sense to order both, since the shipping is more than the button is! I'm familiar with much of the history of the current bowl games, and many of the defunct ones as well. This bowl hasn't been around for all that long, just over 20 years, and started in Tucson- as the Copper Bowl. Some other bowls survived since they changed vanues like this one did. It is in Tempe, a suburb of Phoenix, home of Arizona State University. It is the former home of the Fiesta Bowl, now played at the newer NFL stadium in Glendale. I saw 2 games at the Tempe stadium in 2005, the final year the NFL Cardinals played there. It was against the Carolina Panthers. The college game was Arizona State vs. Oregon. Saw a baseball game as well, it was October and the Arizona Fall League, rookies and minor leaguers. It was at the spring training stadium for the Padres and Mariners in Peoria, west metro, and what inspired me to go to spring training in Florida the following March.

No comments:

Post a Comment