Friday, June 10, 2011

A Friend's Going-Away Party

I went to a friend's going-away party tonight, at a comedy club I've performed at before. Showed up before most did, stayed for a while. It's a reminder of what I'm thankful for on doing comedy- the sense of community, as well as the circle of friends. But also the sense of pride on finding the courage and confidence to do comedy, as I've found the courage to do many other things because of it. Actually it was 2 friends- a couple- that is moving to California to pursue comedy, writing, and education. I ended up with 4 books they were giving away, as well as some good pictures on my camera, and some cake. Did it seem appropriate for it to be raining tonight? Maybe. I think 2 songs I heard will help me remember: 'Boy Named Sue' by Johnny Cash, playing at the bar. The other? 'Bottoms Up', heard it on my car radio after it was over while driving home.
   It really moved me and touched me by how much the guests of honor enjoyed having me there. I've been to going-away parties before, but this one I think will be memorable for a long time. In a positive way, of course. I felt modest about it and wanted to say 'aw shucks'. Borrowing a line from 'Wizard of Oz' played a big role, 'I will miss you most of all'. Reminds me of how I once sold myself short, many years ago, thinking I had flaws like those book/movie characters. Telling myself I was a Tinman and Cowardly Lion. But nothing could be further from the truth. I've proven it before, finding courage when others couldn't, and having a heart as well. It's just that I sometimes wouldn't let others in, wouldn't know who to trust. Thinking no one would understand, but then I understood nobody trusts me if I don't trust them. So if I were to borrow a line from the same movie in terms of how I felt, it would be the Tinman. 'Now I know I have a heart, because it's breaking'.
   This is also the day I found out next year's class reunion will be at the American Legion, and I bought 2 shirts at lunch. One of them was a Ford Mustang shirt, as I owned a Mustang in high school and college. But I already know it's a day best remembered because of the friends I saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment