Friday, June 17, 2011

VFW Birthday Party

Went to a friend's birthday party at the VFW in Minneapolis, but I left early as I was tired. There was thunder and lightning while driving home, at times the rain was coming down so hard it was tough to see. But I know well enough to be careful while driving, the main thing is getting home in one piece and I was in no rush to get home anyway when there was no work in the morning.
    This was one of the many Facebook invites I get for shows, I liked seeing many of my comedian friends there. I liked how one of them did a favorite joke of mine for the first time in a while, where he speaks of a sports coach who's much like the trainer in the 'Rocky' movies. I likely could have gotten stage time had I thought about asking well enough in advance. But of course I don't always know how I feel from one day to the next as to if I want to attend a show, there are some nights where I'm fine with not going anywhere as I want to rest.
    I ended up parking on a street that is familiar to me, and making a short walk over to the venue as I often go to the Lagoon theater nearby for the arthouse movies I like. It also served as a reminder of what I looked up recently, how the VFW was founded by veterans of the Spanish-American War, and Philippine Insurrection. American Legion was founded by World War I veterans. My hometown had a post for both organizations.

No comments:

Post a Comment