Friday, January 6, 2012

Jane Addams Hull House

Just arrived at the historian convention and got registered this morning. The site is a Sheraton hotel just a few blocks away from where I am staying. I experienced a 'what are the odds?' event early, when at the information desk asking a question, as I recognized the name on somebody's tag passing by. It was Albert Beveridge III, and of course I had just done an entry earlier this week with this title. I said 'like the Indiana senator?' and he said yes.
   I  heard a Lady Gaga song, 'Poker Face', at a 7-11 when I was buying a postcard. Made it to a Dunkin Donuts and got a blueberry muffin. Then it was on to mail the postcard to a friend who had requested it, so I went to the nearby Fort Dearborn post office. It was on Dearborn street, and I was familiar with how this was the city's name when it was a military fort, especially during the war of 1812. The city seal says the city was incorporated in 1837.
   I wanted to do some researching on Emerson Hough while in town, and it meant getting to the Newberry Library. I decided to walk there, wanted to lose some weight and save some train fare. I liked seeing 2 portraits at the level where the guard is in front, they were of Lincoln and Grant. Apparently they were owned by the library's benefactor. I found 2 items of interest to me, on the same floor. I copied one myself from microfilm and the other was copied for me. I would have stayed longer but wanted to get to the Jane Addams Hull House Museum at UIC, which closed at 4pm and is not open on Saturdays. I got there about an hour before closing, enough time to tour it. I learned something while there, like how she was a founder of the ACLU and NAACP. The Nobel Peace Prize was on display, and there was mention of Studs Terkel observing the demolition. At first I was confused, but then found out most of the complex was leveled for UIC, all but 2 buoldings which now serve as the museum. The dining hall was where the gift shop was found. One guest made a joke about this part of history, where the case went all the way to the Supreme Court where the court ruled for the university. He said it was 'urban removal' instead of 'renewal'. Thankful I finally made it after first reading about her in social studies class in 3rd grade, along with other famous Chicagoans like Swift, McCormick, and Pullman.
    I made it back to the convention site in the early evening, had a beer and key lime pie at Don Shula's restaurant, named for the former pro football coach. Then it was on to the awards ceremony, and I was sitting next to one of the honorees, who was from Princeton. There were 2 Beveridge awards, one for history books and the other for history instrcutors at the high school level as I recall. I liked the baquest food after the ceremony, plenty to choose from on meats like little hot dogs. I really like the pienapple chunks and the slices of cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment