Sunday, January 15, 2012

Maytag Blues song

When searching videos on Youtube about Maytag and my hometown of Newton, Iowa, I found one about having the 'Maytag blues', and they didn't mean the blue cheese made there. I was most moved by the lyric about how my hometown's gone bust, and politicians don't seem to care. Another one I found was from the BBC in 2008, which spoke of the racetrack arriving. Lot of good it does, as those are seasonal jobs.
   I thought of it again after calling my dad tonight, hadn't done this in a little while. I said I had seen the recent Maytag/Newton videos on Yahoo, he had seen them as well as they were on local TV. He had toured the guesthouse for sale in the video, when he was an employee.
  As usual it was entertaining and inspiring to call my dad. He spoke of having a bat in his house in rural Iowa, and how he didn't mean to kill it, just wanted to open the door and let it out. He then spoke of bats getting into the church, I do recall this once before. Another time he said a boy from the church helped him trap a bat and then sent it across town to a park where it was let go.
   He did say once again how he would like to see me do comedy, and I thought it was odd how I had to explain the differences between being paid and perks. You get money with one and get free things with the other. He also spoke of Michele Bachmann again, about how she won the Iowa straw poll, but of course she quit the race for president after a dismal showing in the Iowa caucuses this month.
   I got my laundry done around noontime, and while waiting I read the paper which spoke of a play I wanted to see that just opened. It is 'You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown'. Since I am a big fan of the comic strip, and enjoy reading the Friday paper so I can also have the movie times for the weekend, I am thankful I found it. Liked seeing 2 little girls singing and dancing at the laundromat, and they also used a tie as part of the dancing, like from a bathrobe.
    Also made it to the company's free fitness center for the first time in a while, near the final hour of the day. One of the football playoff games was on, the second game of the day, Giants/Packers. It was around halftime when I left to go shower. After laundry was done I went to a Dairy Queen and had one of those 'chicken and fries' baskets since I had a coupon for it. Also used another gift card, JC Penney, now down to 3, as I needed some apparel. In the evening I thought about doing the typical watching of 'The Simpsons' but reminded myself I had the Redbox movie and wanted to get it back during the first day. So I watched it instead. It was 'The Reunion', I went with it since another one I wanted was unavailable. Nice story about a dysfunctional family working together, plenty of action in it. It is the first Redbox rental of the year, and 4th overall. I will likely rent more this year than last, and it shouldn't take long either. The brothers did a reference to 'Bonanza', as that show was also apparently about 3 brothers with the same father but different mothers.
   I would have liked getting more cleanup done, but finishing laundry was priority and I still have more time Monday since I am off for the holiday. A notable thing from doing laundry was retiring a pair of unmatched socks, my only such pair. There were holes forming in both, so it was time. I ripped them up and tossed them in the trash. One was blue with a small argyle pattern, the other black.

No comments:

Post a Comment