Thursday, January 19, 2012

Kodak in Chapter 11

It meant something to me when I saw an article how Eastman Kodak has filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. I once had one of their cameras, an oblong 110. It was a simple camera that some called it a 'kid's camera'. But I don't mind having simple to use cameras. It was said how the company pioneered digital photography, but was left behind in this market. I am reminded of the references to the brand name in pop culture, like Cletus in 'Smokey and the Bandit' saying he just passed another Kojak with a Kodak. Or Pitbull the rapper speaking of a Kodak. Then there's the Barrow gang in the movie 'Bonnie and Clyde' referring to it when wanting a group picture.
   I picked up an extension cord tonight on my way to a comedy show, realized I needed one for my electronics. Normally I take this day off from the clubs, but stagetime was offered. I was pleased as to the venue, the 400 Bar in Minneapolis. First time there, plenty of wall art from local musicians, especially the band Soul Asylum and their album/CD 'Grave Dancers Union', which I own. Other art included the Replacements and their album 'Pleased to Meet Me', another one I own but not until I moved to the area as it still would get played a lot on the radio. I was thrilled to say I have been on the same stage as these bands, or even the Jayhawks, though I don't know as much about them.
    What I wasn't thrilled about was the weather, as it was subzero outside and not much warmer inside the venue. I kept my coat on for most of the night, taking it off only when I went onstage. I was third after the MC, then helped the show closer with a gameshow skit. One performer kept her coat on while onstage. I had been in the same general area before, as it is just down the street from the Corner Bar and the Round Theater, the former is another place I have performed at.

No comments:

Post a Comment