Saturday, January 21, 2012

Fond Du Lac

The first thing I got around to doing after leaving home today was to visit an antique shop on St. Paul's east side. I had been informed by the twin sisters who helped me acquire a Winter Carnival button how there would be plenty to find at this place as well. I wasn't sure, when I went online and all the pictures I saw were of furniture. But it was worth a try, as I bought 3 buttons for a total of $8. It included ones from 1976 and 1986, as those were anniversary editions, of course the nation's bicentennial and the carnival's centennial. The third was a Charlie Brown and Snoopy button, with a trophy outline and Snoopy shaking hands with Woodstock, with a caption of 'Great Job'. I wanted to look around some more but didn't have the time, as I wanted to get over to Minneapolis to see a basketball game at Roosevelt High School. The Teddies were playing Fond Du Lac Ojibwe, from Cloquet near Duluth. I stayed for the first half, Roosevelt was up by 18. I bought some popcorn and left. I needed to continue my errand running, which was to get to Bloomington for a dry run on attending a play the next day about the Charlie Brown and Snoopy comic strip. I picked up advance tickets as I like the peace of mind, knowing I'm getting in. When I spoke of of it being on my 'must see' list, along with 'Our American Cousin', the ticket seller said they would forward it on. I know the latter isn't likely to happen, as the reason why I want to see it is the same reason why it's hard to find, since it was the play being shown when Lincoln was assassinated. But it's still worth a try. I was impressed with the size of the community center there, a big green roof that one can see from off in the distance.
   In the early evening I had a date where I went to see a hockey game, the Minnesota Gophers were at Mariucci Arena. My date had attended Colorado College, and wanted to see them play this school. Gophers won 2-1, CC won by the same score on Friday. It was tied after one session, after CC scored first. Then the Gophers went ahead early in the second. We let the traffic clear after the game, by deciding to eat before going anywhere. There was a Jimmy John's sandwich shop near the arena, I like the wall art.  

No comments:

Post a Comment