Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pool and Hotel Postcard

I think it is well known how I still have some ambivalence to my hometown of Newton, Iowa. But it is notable when I just bought 2 old postcards of my hometown from Ebay earlier today. One is from the Maytag pool, where I received some swimming lessons, The other is the Maytag hotel, now known as the Midtown building, near the county courthouse. I like postcards as they are small and cheap souvenirs, simple to store them. I do have some postcards from Newton already, as I recall I have 2 of the same kind. It has 4 smaller pictures on it, including the Maytag home office, county courthouse, county museum, and the town's welcome sign. It is nice to have postcards of properties on the National Register of Historic Places. I know the courthouse is listed, and so is the Maytag pool, as it is inside Maytag park. I also have cards of Emerson Hough school, but those are much bigger, and of course not postcards.
   On saturday I made it to the Metrodome to see the Twins fanfest, liked getting some small souvenirs there at what somebody once called a 'convention for baseball nerds'. Well that makes me a baseball nerd then, and proud of it! It included a piece of the Dome roof, a button from the 1987 World Series, and a patch of the now-defunct Minnesota Fighting Saints hockey team. Even though they played just 5 seasons back in the 1970s, sometimes one still sees plenty of their merchandise as hockey is popular in this state. Last but not least was the mini-helmet, signed by former Iowa Hawkeye quarterback Brad Banks. It was available from the Bob Feller museum in Van Meter, Iowa, which I toured the year it opened, in 1995. The salesman hoped I would get the larger Hawkeye helmet, life-sized, but it would have been way more. This is easier to store anyway, either at the office or at home.
   This evening, after chores like laundry were finished, I made it to Edina and saw a movie, 'Carnage', directed by Roman Polanski. I liked the John C. Reilly character in it, a reviewer called him 'affable' and this description is apt. Another accurate term would be an 'everyman'.
    As usual, I mark the time with music. At the fanfest, I heard 'Champagne Supernova' by Oasis. At a dinner later in the evening, at a Ruby Tuesday in Edina, it was 'Daughter' by Pearl Jam, a song that reminds me of being in college as it was popular then. At the comedy club Friday, it was 'Live Your Life' by T.I. and Rihanna, and as usual I point to myself saying 'my life' in the chorus, much like when I attended the Rihanna concert in June. This of course is in contrast to No Doubt covering 'It's My Life' by Talk Talk, where I point to the radio instead of myself when I hear it. I think this is due to the following line being 'don't you forget'.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment