Sunday, March 11, 2012

The 5th Inning

I watched inning 5 of the Ken Burns baseball documentary with my date in the early afternoon, covering the 1930s. So there still was plenty about Babe Ruth, but also Lou Gehrig and his farewell speech in 1939. Also liked seeing mention of the first class of inductees to the baseball Hall of Fame, from the same year as the Gehrig speech. As usual, there were many things I was familiar with like the discussion of the Ruth 'Called Shot' in the 1932 World Series. Same is true with the 1934 Cardinals, known as the 'Gashouse Gang'. Along with Cardinals player 'Ducky' Medwick being removed from the final game of the World Series as fans were throwing debris at him. I had read about the 'Gassers' back in elementary school, plenty of books to read in the library there. We are now halfway through it since there is a 'tenth inning', done after the original series was aired in 1994. Looks like the next segment is longer than the others, at two and a half hours.
   For some reason I got started a little earlier on errand running. I liked the feeling of finishing earlier, though it meant missing part of 'The Simpsons' in the evening. It may have helped that I went grocery shopping and did the dishes right away, before a brief visit to the fitness center. Then I went to do laundry. The fitness center visit is likely why, wanting to get there by 5pm. But also wanting to fill in the time before getting there by doing errands but not laundry, afraid I wouldn't make it for exercise in time since things at the laundromat can be unpredictable. One doesn't know how busy it is at times, like if there is a wait for using washers. If it was due to scheduling, using the available time effectively, then there's nothing wrong with that. Quite often before, I would do the grocery shopping and dishes in the evening, like after watching 'The Simpsons'.

No comments:

Post a Comment