Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Fanny Pack and Bowtie

At the comedy club tonight, one comic was memorable for their outfit. He had a crewcut, black framed 'nerd glasses', braces, a bowtie, and fanny pack. I went there after a dinner date, but not with my date.
   Today is my birthday, and I was in many ways humbled by the greetings on Facebook. There were 93 messages waiting in my Hotmail account, more than twice the normal volume. I did take the time to respond to all of the postings. Some were classmates, plenty of them were comedian friends, a few were famous people like a movie reviewer in the paper or a journalist that now lives in Texas. Some I have seen more often than others of course, like the comedian friends. Some I may not have met yet, like the movie reviewer. Though I like reading his reviews. With classmates,  I said how I look forward to seeing them at the reunion in June. Ah yes, it does leave another one, a fellow writer that I met at the convention in Detroit. I quoted 'Throw Momma From the Train' as there is a line in it that resonated with me- 'A writer writes, always!' It was in reference to the question I received about how it was going for me.
   There was more than one no-show at the club tonight, which is odd to me. My guess was if I still wanted stagetime, I could have had it. But I made it right before showtime, and I figured it likely was not available.
    I made it to an Erbert Gerbert sandwich shop in St. Paul today, first time there as this downtown location had just opened about a month earlier. Usually I eat out for lunch only on Fridays, but didn't feel like heating up the soup and needed to step outside the office for a few minutes since it was so busy. The memorable thing was somebody asking me what 'supersede' meant, I said it's something that takes the place of what came before it. He said it then meant 'override', and I said close enough.
   Some might call it 'News of the Weird' but one feature on 'Nightline' tonight was about military-trained personnel shooting wild pigs in Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment