Saturday, March 24, 2012

Ft. Snelling State Park

The plans today involved going hiking at a state park, near Ft. Snelling. It was nice to see a maple syrup demonstration. Hadn't done this kind of outing in a while, they're nice to do. I think I had been over to the historical part of Ft. Snelling just once before, in 2009, for a themed weekend about the Civil War. I have a college roommate who works at the VA Hospital nearby, but was informed how they aren't over at the historical part much. It was kind of warm with the hiking boots on, but I had bought them recently as a replacement and I wanted to get some use out of them.
   I did an oil change at Jiffy Lube early in the day, and had a breakfast sandwich as McDonald's as well. After the event, I went to an antique shop in Burnsville with my date. I got 3 items there, 2 were books. One had Charlie Brown and Snoopy comics in it, paperback and hand-size. The other was a Michael Moore book, 'Dude, Where's My Country?' and the clerk said they didn't like him but they were older than me. The third item was an Eminem CD, 'Encore'. I have an Eminem shirt, and it is inspired by this same CD, which has 2 discs.  He is wearing a suit and holding a gun on the shirt. I thought about getting a reference book about Western movies that had some photos from 'Covered Wagon', based on an Emerson Hough book, but if it's still there on my next visit I can get it then. I wanted to limit my spending there, so it was a tough choice what to get.
   I definitely had Emerson Hough on the mind today, due to doing an outdoors event. It was why I had my EH hoodie, shirt, and metal drinking cup with me.
    In the evening, I watched another segment of the baseball documentary with my date. It was the 8th inning, covering the 1960s. Plenty of Cardinals were covered, like the retirement of Stan Musial. The others were Bob Gibson, since he was a dominating pitcher, and Curt Flood, since he challenged the reserve clause by refusing to report to the team he was traded to. We ate at Genghis Grill in Eagan, I like the food there. Plenty of TVs there, but the sports being shown wasn't the college basketball tournament so I had a hard time following the scores on the bottom of the screen. I did check online about the college hockey tournament, as I am attending a regional final. The matchup will be Minnesota against North Dakota, as they defeated Boston University and Western Michigan respectively.  

No comments:

Post a Comment