Wednesday, March 21, 2012

James J. Hill

Toured the James J. Hill home in St. Paul earlier today. It was the second time there, first time in a while, I recall it as being part of the Winter Carnival. Bought some postcards there, three for a dollar and change. One had the logo of the railroad he owned, Great Northern, now part of Burlington Northern Santa Fe as I recall after some buyouts.
   After the event, I found a friend and went to get more Charlie Brown and Snoopy statue pictures. We found one in the west metro and and the others in the east metro. The owner at one business did give us some other leads. I am surprised how we haven't run out of ideas yet, and we've found over 120. I figured we would as we approached 100.
   At the comedy club tonight, one friend in town left early, said he was ill. He had commented on my 'Field of Dreams' picture on Facebook previously. Saw another friend after the show, she was onstage tonight. A couple, who had seen her at another club, talked to her for a while, and me. One of them spoke of 'Meet-up', I did that once with an ex. One song played after the show was over stuck with me, it was one where I had to write down some lyrics so I could find it later online. It was 'Fidelity' by Regina Spektor. 'Breaks my heart, hear these voices , hear this music'. After seeing the video on Youtube, I said it was 'powerful'.
    My music search didn't end there. Also decided to listen to 2 Eddie Rabbitt songs, as I heard one on the radio on the way to the event this morning. 'Driving My Life Away' was the one. Another one he's known for is 'Love a Rainy Night' so I found it as well.
   On the news tonight, there was a feature about a boy at Tartan HS who was barred from bringing an 'adult entertainer' to his high school prom. I went alone to my prom, couldn't find a date. I am with the boy- let him bring whomever he wants. It can be hard to find somebody who will accept, seems silly to tell him the wrong girl accepted.  I made it a Facebook posting, as it meant enough to me.
   Also on the news, there was a feature about a long basketball game being played as a benefit event for the tornado victims in Joplin, Missouri. I recognized the logo from the gym, it was the Missouri Athletic Club in St. Louis, a place I have stayed at since I was the guest of a member, friends of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment