Thursday, March 1, 2012

'Small World' on Violin

I was onstage at the Corner Bar in Minneapolis tonight, and the act before me was a male dancer in a camisole. He did his act while a girl was nearby, playing 'It's a Small World After All' on violin. His routine was the storyline of the movie 'Footloose', something I guessed rather quickly. Also notable was blowing out a candle after the show ended and some of the wax ended up on my glasses. I think I can somehow find a way to get it into my act, not quite the same as 'egg on the face' or 'pie in the face' though. I decided to park in a different lot this time, as I found one slightly farther away that was cheaper than the customary one. There was snow on the walk over to the club, and it continued after the show. I liked getting stagetime here as it allows me more minutes than other clubs, and they want comics to try new material there so it is definitely an 'experimental' club. I would have preferred a larger crowd of course, it was sold out last week when I was there to see a friend perform. Though I don't think sellout crowds at this club are typical.
    I didn't realize it at first, but I was so moved by hearing this song being played. Though at first it just sounds repetitive and annoying. This is why it can be the butt of jokes since it is the song on a ride at Disneyland. But the lyrics do resonate: a world of laughter, a world of tears, a world of hope, a world of fears. It does seem somewhow appropriate to what I've learned about my life, since I've seen both sides of it that are mentioned in the song. So it seemed to fit a comedy show, especially when laughter is mentioned. I would have liked seeing a new episode of 'Big Bang Theory' tonight but I've given up watching the show for other events before. Thankfully there is now syndicated reruns 5 days a week, I did watch one before having to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment