Thursday, March 8, 2012

Duluth Younkers Manager

After work tonight, I went to the 'X' in St. Paul and watched a game in the high school hockey tournament. There were 2 games, I saw the first and went home as I was tired. So I saw Lakeville South defeat Duluth East, 3-2. Duluth East led 1-0 after one session, it was tied after 2, and Lakeville South took the lead early in the 3rd. They went ahead 3-1 in the final minute on an empty netter, then Duluth East got one back. I thought about staying for the second game, where Benilde St. Margaret's defeated Edina 3-2, but knew how tired I already was. I watched the game on channel 45, and it was still going on when I am normally watching 'Nightline'. Didn't see the first session, it was scoreless after one when I turned it on after getting home. Then it was 1-1 after 2, and Benilde went ahead early in the 3rd, but Edina tied it right away. It stayed tied until the final minute.
   I had a nice view at the arena, as I found a chair in the upper level just above one of the goalie nets. Even though the popcorn box was the 'smaller' one, it was still bigger than typical. I had about half of it and then dumped the rest into my empty cup of Coca-Cola as it was easier to get home on the bus. One fan next to me was complaining about the cost of the hot dogs, I think he got a bigger one than I did. Also notable was hearing somebody in the back of the bus saying he was a Younkers store manager in Duluth. I had a hard time not looking at a wrapped condom on the floor near me. Don't know where it's been, don't want to know.
   I would have preferred my annual visit to the tournament to be for the small school final on Saturday afternoon, but it didn't work in my schedule like before. I like how it's a much smaller crowd there, where I can pick my seat in the lower level. Memorable was the students of course, hearing one band play Lady Gaga's 'Bad Romance' and the chants of 'You Can't Do That' after a penalty.

No comments:

Post a Comment