Monday, March 19, 2012

Comedy Store

Tonight at the comedy club I spoke with somebody who said he once performed at the Comedy Store, I recognized it as being in Los Angeles. He said he had a magic act, and finally got to go onstage at 3 a.m. I said the shows here don't run that late. Much like other chances I've had, I enjoy discussing the craft with anyone who wants to hear my take on it. I just wish I could recall the names of both who were there, I had to let them know things like when the list came out so they must be new to the place.
   At work I did hear from the theater guy as to how his St. Patrick's Day went. He spoke of being at a pub where some frat boys came in, and they were asked to leave after one of them ordered an 'Irish Car Bomb'. Hadn't heard of such a drink before, but was told it was disrepectful to order it in an Irish pub. At first he said he had no stories to tell, which I found hard to believe as he usually has some. I'm told him he has enough to write a book about, as they are adventures that likely few others have experienced.
   This week at work should be easier than previous ones, as I have one day off for a mentoring event. As I recall, this would be the anniversary of the Iraq War begininng back in 2003. A few days later, I went to a Chicago Wolves hockey game as I lived in suburban Chicago then. I saw plenty of military recruiters there, even leaving business cards next to urinals in the bathroom. Then there was somebody saying 'I will clap for him!' when veterans of various wars were honored during intermission, and it was a World War II veteran. Guess it's a good reminder of a scene I once saw in 'The Simpsons' where the VFW hall was called 'veterans of popular wars'.

No comments:

Post a Comment