Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Print Encyclopedias

On the news tonight was a feature about Encyclopedia Britannica ending publication of its print version. It does make me think of how my family had other types when I was younger: American Peoples, and later, World Book. We got the newer one as I felt like an idiot when I did a report in 5th grade on Louis Armstrong, who was listed as still alive. The one I was reading was woefully obsolete!
    Also notable was checking on Facebook, and the Emerson Hough building in my hometown will now house the alternative high school and administrative offices. First they closed the wrong school, now they're compounding the problem. I left a comment asking why just 5 of the 7 board members voted, and noticing how the renovations to accommodate the move cancel out some of the projected savings. Afraid it will be another 'we saved less than $100' sad stories. Still no mention of what the plans are for the former Maytag Mansion, which housed the administrative offices. Hard to say what comments I will get, if any at all.
   It was a fun night at the comedy club, plenty of friends in the lineup tonight. The host at the club let me look at the list when I was ordering a drink. A friend who got me into a show at another club last month was MC, and another friend was show closer- saw his rap duo show on New Year's Eve. No surprise about getting the 'how right I was' feeling late last year while at a show- as it has paid true dividends to get into comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment