Friday, April 13, 2012

Blue Shirt Acquired

Before I went to a comedy show tonight, I went to Maplewood Mall and got a blue shirt for the office at their Express clothing store. It worked just fine going to another location, as I knew what I wanted and no salespeople interfered. Thanks to the gift card, it was half-price. Also had food there, a Gyro sandwich before buying the shirt. Then it was a Dairy Queen Blizzard as I was leaving. The shirt had to be blue as it was replacing one that is blue. I like the color as it goes with most other colors.
   I still made it well before the show began in the basement of a bar in Minneapolis, as I was there before showtime and it started late. I knew all of the names in the lineup except one, and I did speak with him briefly after the show, a French-Canadian. Also notable was the band that played after the comedy show, called Porcupine. Though it was odd how one of the stickers for sale had a rhino on it. Speaking of stickers, they were everywhere in this place, on the support poles as well as in the bathroom, even in the urinals in some cases! Some of my friends were wondering for a while what Clint Eastwood movie the picture was from on the drum. I asked between songs and was told it was from 'Outlaw Josey Wales'. I did get a picture with one of my comedian friends, had to let him know I didn't have one yet. We got it as he was leaving with his lady friend, she took the picture. What I've learned in life is that I haven't gotten anywhere- or anything I really wanted-by being timid. I have to stand up and be counted, state what I want and be willing to go get it. The example I sometimes give is the 'Hot dog story at Wrigley Field' as I wanted a hot dog and I was hungry, so I tried harder to make sure the vendor saw me. I am thankful I have the picture now, as I didn't have any comedian friends in the 'Ring of Honor' but there will be two now. I was flattered to be given a poster of the comedy show, as my friend said he and his lady had bought two. I am more gracious than I was with these things, knowing how saying 'Thank you' is enough. It's all about speech quality.
   I liked speaking with one of the comics, who asked me if I liked baseball. Very much so! He said he had went to the Twins game on Wednesday. I said I cut back on seeing their games since they left the Metrodome, since the tickets became more expensive and harder to find. But he tells me the prices are lower now, maybe even below face value in some cases on Stubhub. I said I also like going to see the St. Paul Saints. Don't mind that it's minor-league as I grew up going to plenty of games at this level. He said he hadn't been to a Saints game, but had been to an Iowa Cub game when in Des Moines once, same place where I saw minor-league ball often. As I recall, we hadn't really spoken much at length before. It was mostly just 'I like this joke' but it's nice to get to know others on another level, i.e., their interests besides their craft.
   It wasn't the only picture of the night. I did get one of the drum kit so I could be demonstrative about the story on the movie, though somebody is bending over in the picture so you see their rear end. Oops! The other would be at the Bobby and Steve's near 35W, as I needed fuel. Got one of the sign which has more than the gas price on it, also 'Godfather's Pizza Express' as I often get pizza there. But not tonight, already had some this week.
   I liked watching the syndicated rerun of 'Big Bang Theory' tonight before leaving for the mall and for the show, as it included Sheldon saying he likes to frequent hot dog restaurants inside retired railroad dining cars. I like doing this myself, since the hot dog place is a reminder of Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment